Book interview - The Color of Resiliency by Frances Murray


Please tell us a little about the book

My book is titled The Color of Resiliency. It’s about the childhood trauma I experienced and what it’s like to live with PTSD and schizoaffective disorder. It’s an eye-opener to mental health/illness. It gets gritty when I discuss sexual abuse as a child. It’s not for the faint of heart. It’s also about domestic abuse and suicidal ideation. It’s about the two years of my life ranging from age 29-31. The second book is the same, ranging from age 31-33, and includes issues from the pandemic that put me on disability. Again, each chapter contains a nightmare or flashback to the abuse I endured. 

I lived in a bedroom for six years, like a locked-up animal, and used the bathroom in the hole in the floor. They fed me condiments. That’s how my life started out. The rest is in the book. I don’t want to give away too much. 


Where did the inspiration come from for your book?

I have a background with major childhood trauma and a current diagnosis of PTSD and schizoaffective disorder. I find that most people do not understand how to handle an episode with manic or depressive behavior. They do not understand mental illness, and their reactions can be alarming or harmful. I want to provide what it’s like in the shoes of someone who lives with this on a day-to-day basis. And maybe the stigma associated can change one’s perspective after reading my book.


How did you find the experience of writing this book?

It was cathartic, complicated, and difficult. I relived the past repeatedly with each chapter. I had buried many scenarios deep inside of me. Things I’ve never told a soul except professionals who needed help to diagnose me. I found healing in this process. I found rage at times, but I accept these things as I write my second book. It’s become easier.


Did you draw any inspiration from any real life people with any of your characters?

Everything about my book is 100% true except for the character’s names. And even then, there’s few who I’ve kept their names simply because it felt right. 


If you could say anything to readers of this  book then what would it be?

Please be open-minded when you meet someone with a mental illness. It’s not a money-making scheme to have a mental illness and to take medication for it. That stigma needs to be erased. And pass the word along when it’s needed. 


Are there plans for more from these characters, or is it a stand alone piece?

I’m in the making of my second book. So for sure!


Where can we purchase your book?

It’s in the Apple store. (https://books.apple.com/us/book/id1599174140) and Kindle Vella (https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/story/B093CGP525)


Please tell us where readers can connect with you and find out about any new book releases too.

@colorofresil on Twitter and Instagram. I mostly use Twitter.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown