Bonnie Meekums interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m a writer of fiction, memoir, and occasionally poetry. My shorter works have been published or are in publication by Bath Flash Fiction Festival Anthology, Reflex Press, Dear Damsels, the Poetry Health Service, Open Page Literary Journal, The Dribble Drabble Review, Moss Puppy Magazine, Paragraph Planet, Roi Fainéant, Briefly Zine, Bandit Fiction, Fly on the Wall Press and Sledgehammer Lit. I was longlisted for the Reflex Press summer 2020 flash fiction competition, and shortlisted for the 2020 King Lear Chairman’s Prize.

I live in Greater Manchester, UK, where I share a house with my husband, various offspring that I’m never entirely confident have finally left, and from time to time grandchildren whose size is inconsistent with their conviction that they rule the roost. To relax, I grow vegetables that misbehave even more than the grandchildren, walk in the hills, read of course, and dance. I also travel alarming distances every now and then, to visit people I love who have inconveniently chosen to live as far away from me as possible, in Aotearoa / New Zealand. I blog about becoming an older woman in the UK (https://mamabonnie.wordpress.com/).


When did your love of books begin?

I happen to have written about this in my memoir, Remnants of War. My sister and I used to walk the mile or so up a hill to our local library once a week, to change our library books. I remember the smell of fresh, clean pages, and the silky feel of shiny paper in Beatrix Potter’s books, not to mention the delightful illustrations. I can still feel a sense of reverence as I carried my treasure home. My sister and I both used to read under the bedclothes at night, remonstrated by our dad as he climbed the stairs. But there was a hint of pride in his voice as he told us to turn off our torches.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

My first book, in 2000, arose out of both my PhD and my professional work as a Dance Movement Therapist. It was much later, in 2011, that I undertook a ten week course in creative writing and began to dream of being a published novelist. My first short creative memoir was published in 2019, followed by my debut novel A Kind of Family in January 2020. I haven’t looked back.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s hard, especially if you expect to have your novels appearing in Waterstones! But there are lots of literary magazines, and it is relatively easy to have flash fiction published, once you have learned the craft. Plus, there is a lovely, supportive community out there. But you do have to get used to rejection. Last year (2021) I had nothing but rejections until September, then the acceptances flooded in. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

You can do it. You just have to:

a)    Learn your craft

b)    Learn how to submit, where to submit, and so on

c)     Develop a very thick skin to deal with the inevitable rejections


Tell us about your book/books:

I have two non-fiction books, both about arts therapies. My debut novel, A Kind of Family, was published by Between the Lines in January 2020, to 5* reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. In 2021 I self-published Remnants of War, a joint memoir with sister Jackie Hales, and also my second (historical) novel My Upside Down World. They are all available via Amazon.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Such a lovely, supportive lot. I feel a real connection with people I have only ever met online – though I am hoping to meet some for real at this year’s Bath Flash Fiction Festival. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for sharing this world with me. 


Where can people connect with you?

Website: https://bonniemeekums.weebly.com/

Twitter and Instagram: @bonniemeekums

Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/Bonnie-Meekums-PhD-Author-447854116059081/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown