A.J. Calvin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m a fantasy author who writes for an adult audience. Most of my works are epic fantasy, though I’ve written some urban fantasy. On occasion, I dabble in science-fiction and paranormal, though I don’t have any of those pieces published (yet).

By day, I’m a microbiologist, but I’m hoping to switch to writing full time in the future. Writing has always been my passion, but science allows me to fund it until the day it finally takes off.

Outside of writing, I enjoy the outdoors – hiking, camping, backpacking. I also love to scuba dive, though living in a landlocked state has made that difficult during the past couple years with the pandemic and travel restrictions being as they are. I’m hoping to get back to diving soon!


When did your love of books begin?

This had to start with my mother. She used to read to me in the evenings when I was young, and I always looked forward to our story times. It started with fairy tales and branched into a number of other books through the years. By the time I was seven, I’d started choosing books for myself. I never stopped reading, nor lost my love for it.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’ve always been a writer. I can remember writing stories for fun when I was in elementary school, and it’s been both a passion and an outlet for me since that time.

I didn’t start to consider publishing until after I finished college, but it was still many years before I actually went through with it. I started out with querying my four-book series, The Caein Legacy, and while waiting for replies decided to take a look at some of my older writing. I made the decision to indie publish a standalone urban fantasy, Hunted, in 2020 after a major overhaul of the manuscript. Hunted didn’t fit nicely in most of the traditional publishing boxes, and I knew it wouldn’t generate much interest through queries, but I wanted to share that story with the world.

So, I guess to make a long story short, I’ve wanted to become an author for a long time, but didn’t pursue it until recently.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

There is so much to learn! Just when I think I’ve figured out one piece, I discover seven more that would be helpful or even necessary. There isn’t one go-to method that works for every author, and some of the things that work for me won’t work well for someone else. It’s an ongoing learning process, but it’s been amazingly fun.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Plan for the long-term, because success is not going to come overnight (and rarely with your first book). Keep writing. Read as much as you can, even if it isn’t in the same genre that you write in – you never know where you’ll find new inspiration! Be patient with yourself, especially when it comes to self-promotion and marketing (no one likes that aspect, but it has to be done). And don’t be afraid to put your work out there. It’s scary as hell, but your story is worth telling.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first truly published novel was Hunted, released in October 2020. It’s a standalone urban fantasy featuring demon summoners and their centuries-long conflict with an opposing group who call themselves hunters. Hunted focuses on the story of Chandra Gray and her twin, Xandra. Chandra is born with the summoner’s ability, while Xandra later becomes a hunter. Hunted has some action, a bit of romance, tragedy, and a theme of sibling rivalry gone awry.

You can learn a bit more about Hunted here: https://buy.bookfunnel.com/yx2uud0eh7



More recently, I began publishing my trilogy, The Relics of War. The first book, The Moon’s Eye, released in January 2022. It’s an epic fantasy series with a pantheon of meddling gods, some unique non-human species, multiple points of view, a lot of action, and a bit of magic. The concept for this trilogy is one I came up with as a teenager, but spent much of 2021 rewriting from scratch. I’m very happy with the finished product that is currently available!

You can learn a bit more about The Moon’s Eye here: https://buy.bookfunnel.com/fxt4godrml



The second book in the series, The Talisman of Delucha, will release in July 2022.


I’m contemplating a December release for the third book, but I haven’t committed to a date yet. I’m in the process of writing that manuscript at present.

I have also written a companion novella to The Relics of War, titled The Ballad of Alchemy and Steel, which will release free to my newsletter subscribers at the end of April. The novella is set in the years prior to the trilogy, and focuses on the story of Jal’den and Sal’zar, two of the Murkor characters introduced in The Moon’s Eye. It’s a bit of a romance, rather than straight up fantasy.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I have met so many talented, amazing people in the writing community and almost everyone is incredibly supportive. I’ve also discovered a trove of new books to read!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I’ve said this so many times since The Moon’s Eye released last month, but: THANK YOU! I am so grateful to those who have taken the time to read my books. Your support means the world to me.


Where can people connect with you?

Blog/website: www.ajcalvin.net

Twitter: @AJCalvin

Facebook: @AuthorAJCalvin

Newsletter signup: https://ajcalvin.net/subscribe-to-newsletter/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview