V.P. Morris interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

In early childhood. I loved being read to even before I could read the words myself. I have always loved the art of storytelling and couldn’t get enough of places I could escape into with a simple turn of the page.



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Around age eleven or twelve. At the time, I was really into music and writing songs. I loved how the songs I would hear on the radio could tell a story in a few minutes' time, but I realized I wanted to expand on my ideas more and songs didn’t allow for that. So, I started writing short stories and books in my early teens.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It has been extremely rewarding and frustrating all at the same time. It’s amazing to see your name on a printed copy of your book or to see it become an Amazon bestseller, but it took a lot of hard work and rejection before it got there. I’m glad I stuck to it even when I was feeling less than passionate about writing. The passion and rewarding experiences always come back if you hang in there.  


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be prepared for long hours of work and be willing to change things as the story unfolds. The creative process never goes exactly how we think it will. Rejection is part of the process but just because someone doesn’t want to publish your story or represent your novel, it doesn’t mean no one ever will. You have to keep trying and stay hopeful even when you aren’t feeling it.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first novel, ShadowCast is a dark thriller and was published last year by an indie publisher. It follows Dakota, an out of work investigative journalist who uses her newfound free time to launch a true crime podcast to search for her missing best friend from high school. But as her show grows in popularity, she doesn’t realize someone sinister is listening in and tampering with her investigation.



My upcoming novel, Dead Ringer will be published April 7, 2022. This thriller novel is about Taylor, a young woman with a tough past and a criminal record searching for a new start in life. When she accidentally causes the death of a teen girl who looks just like her, she does the only thing she can do  – take over the dead girl’s identity. But soon, Taylor comes face to face with the deadly secrets the girl’s family is hiding and she must outwit them in order to survive.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how supportive almost everyone is in the writing and reading space. People tend to talk about how toxic discourse is on the internet but I’ve thankfully never run into any particularly horrible people in the six years I’ve been connecting with this community. It seems like we all realize how hard writing and publishing can be and don’t want to make things worse for the people doing the same thing as we are.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my writing. I hope you enjoy the experience and come back to read my future work!


Where can people connect with you?

I’m most active on Twitter (@TeaWriteRepeat). I’m also on Instagram (@TeaWriteRepeat) and Facebook (@vpmorriswriter). You can also visit my website, vpmorris.com to learn more! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview