The Art Of Being An Author - Ginnine Josete

Talk us through your stages in the writing process

For me writing is just a part of how I'm wired. I can't imagine not writing. Having said that my process is very organic and not particularly organized. First of all I keep paper and sharpie markers (my favourite writing utensil) everywhere in my home and in my purse because I never know when an idea, a character name, a poem or an interesting thought might hit and I don't want to lose it. If a story is beginning to write itself in my head and I am currently working on something else I will take a bit of time to type up what's happening into a new file in Scrivener. I may not get back to it for ages but at least it's there when the time is right. When I'm working on a manuscript I'm focused entirely on it to the exclusion of other projects until it's finished. When I get past the half way point it becomes almost a frenzy in my mind to get the story down as quickly as possible. I write freestyle. I don't do an outline. I just write page after page until it's done. When I have it completely finished, I will then go over it with a fine tooth comb and edit for content. Once that is finished I edit for grammar, etc. During my entire process I keep hand written notes on specific details about my characters, settings and other details that I can refer to when needed. It's amazing how hard it is to keep all these details straight without having notes nearby as a reference.  When my manuscript is done, I send it to my first readers to give me criticism and then I self publish on Amazon. 


Do you have a set writing space?

I use an ipad to do my writing with an attached keyboard. I write in different places all over the house which is why I like the ipad so much. It is so easy to carry around with me. Sometimes I sit at the dining table, sometimes I sit on the couch with my feet curled under me. I have done some writing sitting up in bed. I have worked on books at a coffee shop, on an airplane and at the library. I have worked on them in an Airbnb while on vacation. If the ideas hit me they demand to be written down immediately.  This often finds me up at 3:00am writing while my understanding husband sleeps on in our bed.


Which part of the writing process do you enjoy the most?

The thing I enjoy most about writing is discovering a new character and letting that character take shape. I so love getting to know them, their unique voice, habits, interests and way of talking. My characters inhabit my brain while I'm writing their stories and I just really enjoy listening to them talking in my head. Some can be very persistent but that's ok. Strangely, once a character's story has been contained in the pages of a book they just disappear and I have a lot of difficulty remembering details.


Which part of the writing process do you least enjoy?

I absolutely hate trying to market my work. I wish I could just write and then move on to the next book and the next. I feel like spending time each day on social media trying to get the word out there takes so much away from my writing time. I have "met" some very supportive people on social media but I wish it could just be something I could do for fun instead of a necessary part of my job as a writer. 


What one piece of advice would you give to other authors when it comes to the writing process?

My advice would be to follow your own gut. Everyone approaches writing in their own way and there is no way that is right or wrong. Don't try to force it, just go with what works for you, your family and your lifestyle. Also, follow your own timeline. For some people, a book comes together very quickly and for others it's a longer process. Both are perfectly normal. Be true to yourself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview