LK Wilde interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

                                        


A little introduction:

I’m an author, teacher and musician living in Cornwall with my husband, mum and two sons. These days I teach part time and fit my writing and music work around life with two busy, growing boys. I was born in Norwich but moved as a teenager to Holy Island (Lindisfarne) and after a brief stint in Australia, finally settled in Cornwall in my early 20s. My experience of island life inspired me to write my first novel Silver Darlings and I love exploring the forgotten histories of places and bringing them to life through stories. When I’m not working, I can usually be found out in the rain on my bike, getting muddy on the moor with my boys or warming up by a fire with a good book!



When did your love of books begin?

I think I need to credit my parents with that. They read to me every bedtime for years, and my mum worked as a librarian for a while so there was no shortage of books in the house.



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I carried an A4 note book around with me when I was about 10 years old. I’d write in it every spare minute at school and if anyone asked what I’d doing I’d tell them “My job, I’m going to be a writer!” It sounds pretentious now I think back, but I was obsessed with writing stories. I also wanted to be a farmer at one point, but that dream didn’t follow me into adulthood! As I grew older my focus turned to music, and it wasn’t until a couple of years ago that my writing dreams resurfaced, and I decided to give it a go. It turned out to be well timed, the pandemic came along, all music work dried up, but I still had a creative outlet in my writing.



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s been a steep learning curve! I lacked so much confidence at the start that I wrote and released my debut novel in secret… not the best marketing strategy! After a few people read it and gave me great feedback I finally started believing in myself. I’m still learning the ropes of marketing, as an introvert it doesn’t come naturally, but I believe my books are worth reading so marketing is a necessary evil. I’ve always been a fan of teamwork, but now I’ve started applying it to my writing. My second novel was written with input from trusted people who I knew would truthfully tell me what worked and what needed improving in my book and it’s all the better for it.



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Go for it! Start writing and seek help when you need it. Believe in yourself, and most importantly, enjoy it!



Tell us about your book/books:

I write 20th century historical fiction, but I’m also dipping my toe into women’s fiction. My first novel Silver Darlings is a historical romance, set against the backdrop of the early 20th century east coast herring industry. The book follows two Holy Islanders, Jimmy and Clara, who are both forced from the island and into the herring industry, Jimmy as a fisherman and Clara as a herring girl.

My second book Queenie of Norwich is due out in February 2022. It’s based on the true story of Queenie Read, whose mother sold her to the travelling fair when she was six years old. Queenie returned to Norwich years later and became involved in the illegal world of off course betting, gaining her name ‘Queenie’ after a newspaper reported a police raid on her betting shop where ‘The Queen Bee Escaped.’ Queenie was my great grandmother so telling her story has always been a dream of mine.




What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the supportive nature of the writing community on Twitter. I avoided joining Twitter for a long time, scared off by its toxic reputation. The writing community couldn’t be further from my preconceptions. Being part of such an enthusiastic, encouraging community has really spurred me on as a writer, and as a reader I’ve discovered some wonderful books by my fellow authors!



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you! My readers are an encouraging bunch. I’ve had some wonderful reviews and their impatience for more books is a fantastic motivator. It means the world to me that people are reading my work.



Where can people connect with you?

I’m on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram as @lkwilde. I also have a website, lkwilde.com where people can read my blog and sign up to my mailing list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview