Kait Disney-Leugers interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m Kait Disney-Leugers, an aspiring author out in the querying trenches with my first novel. When I’m not writing my own story, I’m reading way too much. I’m also raising my two kids and at this point their book collection is starting to rival my own.


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve loved books as long as I can remember. My mom instilled a love for books in me from a really young age. It helped that my childhood home was literally right behind the library. The Book-It program also really pushed my love for books. Pizza is a big motivator.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I think I was around 6 or 7 years old. I remember in school we had a project about what we wanted to be when we grew up. Everyone, including me, said veterinarian, but I also put writer. I also got my first journal that year, I would write in that thing constantly.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s been challenging and rewarding at the same time. Like I’ve already received a lot of rejections in the querying stage and not going to lie, after my first rejection I cried my eyes out and tried to convince myself I wasn’t good enough. 
Of course, that was crazy talk, because I am good enough. Some days it’s easier to convince myself of that, sometimes not. 
The actual writing part was an interesting challenge for me because when I started writing my first story I was a new mom. I wasn’t sleeping a lot. Then as I started getting in deeper and really working my story through I was pregnant again. So lots of sleepless nights at my computer, and honestly, much of the actual writing experience is a total blur to me now.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

First drafts don’t matter! Go nuts! If it doesn’t fit, that’s something you can deal with while editing. 
Connect with other writers on social. Have someone to bounce ideas off of or just someone who will let you vent about story problems. Even a small hype squad makes a difference.
And finally, don’t you dare give up on yourself! Have the confidence of a mediocre white man and just do it whether you think you’re good enough or not. You can create wonders with your mind.


Tell us about your book/books:

So I’m super into magical realism, my current query baby, Antique Magic, is set in an antique shop with some Warehouse 13 vibes. There’s magic of course, and folklore creatures, a bit of romance, and choke full of tropes like found family, healing from trauma, and some grumpy/sunshine sprinkled in.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Everyone is so amazing! Total strangers will hype you and believe in even when you don’t believe in yourself. I love finding new reads from what people are promoting, (shoutout to all the monster romance lovers, my tbr pile is huge because of you).


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

To those who started following me when my dumb story was just a fanfic on AO3, you made me do this! All of the wonderful comments convinced me to strip the story down and build it into something that was truly my own, and I hope to one day soon make you all proud when it becomes a real published novel. 


Where can people connect with you?

I’m on Twitter a lot @KaitReadsABook. Definitely come talk to me there!
I’m also on Instagram and TikTok @katliger. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview