Jason Whittle interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello, my name’s Jason Whittle, I’m a multi-genre author from the New Forest, in the South of England. I live with my wife and teenage son, and am studying for a PhD in crime fiction at Solent University.


When did your love of books begin?

Earlier than I can remember, to be honest. And there was always some fun stuff on the bookshelves at home, so I was reading the likes of Graham Masterton, Shaun Hutson, and James Herbert much younger than is appropriate. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I always liked the idea of being a writer, but I only did short stories, usually spooky little short, sharp shockers. I never even considered trying to write longer works, and my ambition was actually to go into journalism. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s been a long time in the development. I started writing with serious intent in 2004, and my debut novel was published in 2011. But that soon came off sale when the publisher went bust, and I remained out of print until I made my self-publishing debut in 2016. Most of my releases have been self-published since, but Escaping Firgo was traditionally published, and my intention is that further works will be too. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Go for it, there’s nothing stopping you! Most of the impediments to getting published have been removed now, and the path to your readership is more direct than ever before. 


Tell us about your book/books:

Available at the moment are Aberfan and Senghenydd, a short story duplex about two Welsh coalmining disasters, Midlife Crisis, a darkly comic psychological thriller that starts as a cheeky romcom before going somewhere much murkier, Richard Pritchard and the Distinctly Unsavoury Occurrence, a family friendly comedy about a Welsh private eye who is perfect apart from his eyesight, Escaping Firgo, a creepy mystery about a would-be bank robber who gets stranded in a remote village, my series of four football manager memoirs about leading Chester City up the leagues, and two short story collections: The Biggerest Ask for football stories, and Wrong’Un for crime stories. Links to all of them can be found on my Amazon page. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jason-Whittle/e/B07BH1Y669

There is also plenty in the pipeline at the moment, and I look forward to announcing new releases as and when I can.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Oh, everything – readers and authors are the best people in the world! I’ve made so many friends, both online and at writer’s conventions – it was great to go back to those last year after a long enforced absence. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Just a big thank you for your support and enthusiasm, you are absolutely valued, and the lifeblood of my not just my writing career, but the whole scene. 


Where can people connect with you?

I blog at https://jasonwhittleblogs.wordpress.com/ and can be found on social media on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/jasonwhittleauthor/, or Twitter https://twitter.com/authorjwhittle, and I’m always happy to hear from readers or other authors. 


Comments

  1. You are a wonderful Author and I very much enjoy reading your stories. You are my writing inspiration and I admire you for the beauty you have added to my life through encouraging me to step out of my little box and write something beyond my comfort zone. I stepped forward as you gently pushed me forward. Everything about me is better through your help. The stories you have out are the quality you inspired me to make my standard. Your as good of a friend as you are a writer. Thanks for the journey your little push set me on. You bring light where there is dark, just by being you. Thank you, Angie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview