Jake Allen Coleman interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

Does birth count? Seriously, I've been a book lover my entire life. As a kid, I would hide under the blankets with this old lamp to keep my mom from seeing the light under the door.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

A few years ago my wife and I were out for a glass of wine at our favorite spot and got into a conversation about dreams and being fulfilled. The desire to write came out of that conversation.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's a tough business. There are so many great authors out there that it can be difficult to find your readership. For me, the main thing is to just keep writing, even if its a few hundred words a day.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just do it. The biggest hurdle is getting your first book published. If you're going the independent route like me, just write a book (novella) and put it out there on the 'Zon under a throwaway pen name. It might be rubbish but you will learn more than you can imagine going through the process the first time. 


Tell us about your book/books:

My five part novella series, Eligium, came out of a writing exercise I did one afternoon. It's a classic coming-of-age story with some twists and lore exploration that were my favorite parts to write. My very first novella was a sci-fi story that is still available on Amazon under the pen name Jake Allen. I took my own advice and published that to get the juices flowing. With Eligium finished, I'm returning to my sci-fi love and have the first two books in a new series drafted. I'm working with my editor to shore up the story for release later this year.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Everyone I've encountered has been super-supportive. One of the great things about writing is that there is always room for more books.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you!


Where can people connect with you?

I'm on both Twitter and Facebook. My handle is JColemanBooks on both. I've also got an Instagram that I'm figuring out. For the insider view, you can subscribe to my mailing list at http://eepurl.com/hRz4PT


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown