Guy Gardner interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I was lucky as a kid that both my parents were big readers, so there were always books in the house, and I remember always reading. I think I was 12 when I read Raymond Feist's 'Magician'. I loved it so much that when I got to the end I started reading it again. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It took a long time for me. I'm not someone who wrote from a young age. I think I was in my early thirties when I first tried writing, and quite some time after when I actually had a first draft of something at least not terrible!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Like I say, it took me a while, and I started later in life, but this allowed me to really think about what I wanted to get out of the whole process. It's a long road and you have to have a few falls along the way, but to finish a novel is something many talk about and few do. I agree with the great Terry Pratchett: writing is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Read, read and read some more. Everything, not just the genre you like. Write, write and write some more. Keep working on it and rewriting it until it shines. I would recommend Stephen King's 'On Writing' and Harry Bingham's 'How To Write.' They are both excellent reads in different ways, but ultimately no one can tell you how to write, you have to find what works for you. Lastly, don't cheapen what you're doing by calling  yourself a 'would be writer'. You're writing and therefore by definition a writer. End of.


Tell us about your book/books:

'The Mirror Game' (out 28th January) is set in 1920's London and is about Harry Lark, a WW1 veteran turned detective. When a man who died in strange circumstances seven years before in the trenches of Flanders re-emerges and begins to charm London Society, Harry is suspicious, especially as the man has odd gaps in his memory. As deaths mount up, Harry is drawn deeper into a past he's tried to forget.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Exactly that word 'community'. It's a lonely job being a writer and it's really great to connect with other writers. Also it's wonderful to see so many people keen to support writers and artists and to be able to engage with those people. I've talked whiskey, jazz, and the other day I was sending pictures of our English crumpets to an American writer who wasn't sure what they were. She wasn't convinced about putting chilli sauce and peanut butter on them however!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Just keep reading! Like Star Trek, explore new worlds and civilisations, and go out of your comfort zone to find new writers. You won't be sorry you did.


Where can people connect with you?

Blogs, music, freebies and of course my new novel!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview