Gemma Owen-Kendall interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

                                                 

A little introduction:

My name is Gemma Owen-Kendall, I'm 33, a Pisces from a small town in Grimsby, England. I have a pet dog named Hunnie. I fit writing round my full time job at a car dealership



When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began when I was a child, I would always be visiting my late Nana who had a book shelves that rotated round her stairway. She would often pass on books for me to read such as The Secret Garden, Milly Molly Mandy and Pride and Prejudice. When I went onto secondary school I came across a few teenage books from Point Romance and Point Horror collections as well as read The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings by J.R. Tolkien.
My local town centre eventually got a Waterstones, one of my first ever purchases from this bookshop was Philip Pullmans His Dark Materials. 



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I've always loved writing, even when I was at primary school. My primary school teacher  told me often that I had such a wild imagination but always loved reading my stories I'd written in my workbook. In my teen years, my mum was too overprotective for me to go and hangout with friends, so to pass my time hanging in my bedroom I started to write stories and scripts. I hope to one day look back of these and rewrite them. 
I did a degree in drama as my passion at 18 was to become an actress, however years now I wished I'd taken a degree in creative writing. In 2013 and 2017 I signed up to an evening writers course which has helped me to further become an author. I also took part in a weekend writers retreat in 2017 where I met a bunch of other aspiring writers and authors. From 2019 I started hosting an evening writng group at a coffeeshop in Cleethorpes called The Globe. Three years later, my writing group continues to grow from strength to strength.



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It has been a challenging process but I've loved every moment of it. As I'm currently a self published author, I have to rely more on my social media platforms and word of mouth to help promote my books. I've met so many brilliant authors and readers on my journey to becoming an author myself.



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do it. Just write, write and write, get that first draft manuscript completed. Then focus afterwards on editing it and sourcing out beta readers. If you have a story to tell then share it.



Tell us about your book/books:

Innocent Times (released May 2020). This was my first solo debut book, it is an anthology of short stories and flash fiction tales that focus mainly in love at first sight and brief encounter moments. Mixed in with Contemporary  Fantasy and Sci-Fi genres.
Girl In The Red Coat (released January 2021). This novel had taken me 7 and a half years to write and out together. It is a contemporary retelling of Red Riding Hood, YA fantasy and romance book. Readers have said it has Twilight vibes.
Monday At Six (released October 2017). This book was a group project from my evening writing course at college. It is a pick and mix of short stories from various different writers.
Fish And Freaks (released October 2018). A follow up book from Monday at six with some of the same writers. A spooky read anthology.
Christmas Gifts (released November 2019). This was the first book released from the writers involved with my weekly writing group. An anthology of short stories and poems on the topic of Christmas.
Tales From Lockdown (released November 2020). This was the second book released from the writers involved with my weekly writing group. An anthology on the topic of Lockdown without mentioning Coronavirus or Covid-19.
Halloween Screams (released October 2021). This was the third book released from the writers involved with my weekly writing group. An anthology on the topic of all things Halloween and Horror. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Everyone that I have spoken to in this community are nice, supportive and understanding. I've met a wonderful bunch of authors and readers over the past couple of years who I hope will continue to follow my path as an author.



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Please take a risk and invest in my books. I've written my books to share with you readers out there in the world.



Where can people connect with you?

Instagram: @gemma.bookstagram
Twitter: @GemOwenKendall


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview