Deborah Dillon interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Deborah Dillon, and I'm a self-published author. My debut picture book, Princess No Knots, was released in 2020. I get my love of storytelling from my Granddad Jim who used to make up bedtime stories all the time when I was young. I've carried on the tradition with my two children.


When did your love of books begin?

I was an avid reader when I was younger and was always getting caught by my mum with a torch under the duvet past bedtime. I used to get so sucked into the story I would lose track of time. I have since found my children doing the same and if I am honest, I leave them to it! There's no better way for them to be spending their time.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When my children were pre-school age, four of my oldest friends and I would all meet up on a Friday afternoon so the children could play together and we could all catch our breath! Amidst the chaos we would all exchange stories of how our week had been and the same struggles came up time and time again, especially the never-ending battle of hair brushing and the dreaded hair wash night. It was on one of those Friday's that I turned to my friends and said I was going to write a book about the obstacles and challenges children face and how they overcome them. Princess No Knots is based on one of my friend's little girls who used to come to 'Friday Afternoon Club'.   


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been a learning curve as once I had written the book I wasn't sure what to do next so I sat on it for a while and life moved on. Then, encouraged by my friends and family, I picked it up again and just went step by step, learning along the way, until here we are. I remember a friend saying 'you know it exists, now you have to get others to know it exists' and that has been the hardest part so far.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Definitely do it. If you have an idea you believe in, then take the plunge.  Be patient and persevere. You'll be proud of yourself if you do.


Tell us about your book/books:

Princess No Knots is a colourful, rhyming picture book for 4-10 year olds about a young Princess who loves her long golden hair as much as she loves her bath time but she does not love having it brushed. When her flowing locks end up in knots, the King tells her they will have to be cut and takes away her crown. The reader enters a world of determination, sprinkled with a small dose of magic, to find out if the strong-willed Princess can find a way to get back her crown, keep her name and save the hair she so loves. 

What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The shared love and passion. It brings people together, regardless of what they write about and who they write for.  I have been blown away by the enthusiasm and encouragement for self-published authors.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

To parents I would say I am a firm believer that something magical happens when you read a story together. There is nothing else like it. The time you spend reading the words, looking at the pictures and talking about the story is such a special time and can lead to all sorts of conversations. Oh, and it doesn't last long! 
 
To children I would say, be brave, be determined and believe and you too can overcome your fears just like Princess No Knots.


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter: @DeborahDillon01
Instagram: deborah.dillon.56

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview