D.A. Smith interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW



When did your love of books begin?

I think the first memory I really have of loving a series and waiting and waiting for the next book was when I read the Series of Unfortunate Events books at age 9; I can remember being amazed at the trials those poor children went through, but really being immersed by the writing.



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It wasn't until ten years ago I really had a story I wanted to write, and it wasn't until a further five years after that it actually got written. But that story is trunked and I'm afraid it'll never see the light of day, but I learnt a lot and here I am.



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Hmm, it's safe to say self-publishing has been overwhelming, both in how rewarding it has been in such a short amount of time, and also how much of a harsh learning curve it's been. Nothing can prepare you for the world of self-marketing and promotion, no matter how much you've prepared. 

But I'm loving it, enjoying it and it's certainly the place I want to be at right now. 



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just write the book. Don't worry about who your audience will be or where you'll find them, just get it down. Enjoy it, tell the story to yourself first.



Tell us about your book/books:

My debut book is called 'The Blood of Outcasts' and is a samurai-inspired dark/historical fantasy.
It's based on my love of samurai history, manga and the fantasy genre in general; I've spent a lot of time watching old samurai movies, reading the histories, so it was natural I was inspired by it.
The main character is Masako, her clan is ruined and she's very angry. It's about her redemption, the lengths she will go to satisfy that. But it's also about a shift in culture and largely a shift in belief. 
But mainly, just about one woman and her sword.




What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Well, it's quite simply that every one is as passionate (or more) about books as I am, and it's wonderful to share thoughts and ideas with people who genuinely care.



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you, first of all. And secondly, if you love a book (not just mine), please leave a review for it on Amazon. You wouldn't believe how important they are. 



Where can people connect with you?

Twitter is where I spend pretty much all of my time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview