Cara Hunter interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

The Adam Fawley detective novels have sold over a million copies across the world since the publication of Close to Home in 2017. Two of the books have been Richard and Judy Book Club picks and the TV rights to the series have been acquired by the Fremantle group. 


When did your love of books begin?

I have always been a huge reader. I first learned the meaning of 'voracious' when my English teacher used it on my school report when I was about 11. I can't remember not being able to read - my parents said I taught myself when I was three and I've loved words ever since. Hell for me would e a world without books.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I think the dream was always there but it became something achievable when I went freelance as a copywriter and had a more flexible working life - freelance tends to be all or nothing where workload is concerned, so I started writing fiction when I didn't have any paid work.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I've been incredibly lucky. Close to Home went to auction, which is a dream come true for any new author. There had been a lot of hard work to get to that point, but I'm a great believer that you earn your luck by working hard. And being an author has some amazing highs - meeting and talking to readers being the best of them.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Try, try and try again! Writing is a craft like any other, and the more practice you get, the better you'll become. And do it first and foremost because you love it - if success comes too, that's fabulous, but publishing is such a tricky business you have to do it for yourself first.


Tell us about your book/books:

They're a cross between police procedural and domestic/psychological noir. They're set in Oxford, based around the central figure of DI Adam Fawley. Perhaps the mist distinctive thing is the way they're told: a combination of conventional third-person and first-person narration, with documents, maps, crime scene drawings, interview transcripts and social media. My aim is to make my reader into a detective!


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Crime readers are such a lovely bunch! I've had so much support from that community.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Mainly a huge 'thank you'. And also that the next Fawley book, Hope to Die, is coming your way in the summer.


Where can people connect with you?

I have a free newsletter with news, book recommendations and a column by my cat (yes, I did say my cat), which you can sign up to at

I'm also on Twitter as @carahunterbooks and Instagram as @carahunterauthor. And I love hearing from people!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview