Amanda N. Newman interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Amanda N. Newman. I’m a self-published author of YA and NA fantasy books that blend multiple subgenres.



When did your love of books begin?

My love of books probably began when my mom bought me a Wild at Heart book at a school book fair. Before then, I’d been more of a reluctant reader but that book opened me up to books that I actually liked and was interested in. I’ve been a fiction addict ever since.



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Honestly, I started writing more seriously when I was in 11th or 12th grade but I didn’t think I had what it took to actually be an author until my mom read my crappy first draft of Hybrid Empire and told me that multiple times while reading it she forgot that I’d written it and not an actual published author, that it was good enough to have been written by a real author.



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s been a lot of trial and error and a lot of learning (especially when it comes to marketing the books), but I’m happy to have done it. I like (and am a little terrified by) the idea of people out there reading my books and talking about or thinking about my characters.



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Never forget why you started writing, that you started because in some aspect you love it. Write the kinds of books that you want to read and that you love (not just chase after what’s popular) because it’ll definitely show. And never give up. It won’t be easy but it’s worth it.



Tell us about your book/books:

My dystopian fantasy books (the Tales From the Outback series, which Children of the Outback and Piker’s Retribution are a part of) are the books I’m most proud of. They’re also the most unique and darkest books I’ve written so far, which probably makes them harder to market, but I love them all the same. The series is a standalone series where the books can be read in any order and the order I’ve written and released them in doesn’t fit a chronological timeline (Children of the Outback and Piker’s Retribution take place concurrently but book 3 takes place 3 years before the events of those two and more closely connects to book 4). Also, each of the books is told from multiple first person POVs.

Hybrid Empire was one of the first books I ever completed and the first that I ever published. It’s a YA fantasy that is the first book in a trilogy centering around vampires, werewolves, and hybrids. The second book is currently being revamped for rerelease and I just finished drafting the final book of the trilogy for NaNoWriMo 2021.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how supportive and kind my fellow authors are (at least the ones I talk to). The amount of support they’ve given me completely blows my mind and I’m eternally grateful for finding each and every one of them.



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for taking a chance on reading my books. I know they’re not exactly the happiest or light and fluffy (especially my Tales From the Outback series) and that may not appeal to a lot of people, but I’m glad you gave them a try.



Where can people connect with you?

On Twitter @Amanda_N_Newman

On Instagram @Amanda.N.Newman

On Facebook @AmandaNewmanAuthor

On Tumblr as Amanda-N-Newman-author

On TikTok @amandanewmanauthor

All of the links are on my linktree https://linktr.ee/amanda_n_newman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview