Alyson Sheldrake interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Alyson Sheldrake is the author of the award-winning Algarve Blog. She is also a feature writer for the Tomorrow Magazine in the Algarve, and editor of the Portugal Letter for the Live and Invest Overseas Group.

Originally from Birmingham in the UK, she worked as a police officer then latterly a Director of Education before moving to the Algarve in Portugal to live in 2011.

She is an accomplished and sought-after artist working alongside her husband, Dave, a professional photographer. She is also a self-published author with six books and an eBook box set for sale on Amazon.

When she is not painting or writing, you can find her walking their rescued Spanish water dog called Kat along the riverbank in Aljezur.


When did your love of books begin?

I have always loved reading from a very young age. I used to hide under the bedclothes with a torch, devouring first Enid Blyton, then the entire Sherlock Holmes series. Terry Pratchett was next, and any books about animals. Secondary school introduced me to Shakespeare and Thomas Hardy. Then along came Danielle Steel. I love finding a new author that I can dive into, and always have a book on the go. I try to read every day. As you can see from the list above, I like an eclectic mix of genres.



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I started writing a blog when we first moved to live here in the Algarve, initially just to keep friends informed of what we were doing. It soon grew into an award-winning blog with over 100,000 views a year. I thoroughly enjoyed researching and writing our articles, all liberally sprinkled with Dave’s photography.

Many of our personal stories didn’t seem to fit the blog format, so I put them all to one side, and then eventually realised that I had a lot of material sat on my computer. People kept saying to me, “you should write a book”, so I sat down one day and started writing. It wasn’t long before I had written almost 80,000 words, and Living the Dream – in the Algarve, Portugal was born.

It was a steep learning curve from that moment. Self-publishing was a whole new world to explore, and I relished it all. Pressing the ‘upload’ button on Amazon and seeing my book go live was an exhilarating – and slightly scary – moment.



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

There is something new to learn every day! The one thing I am most grateful for is finding a tribe of fellow travel memoir authors who have all been so helpful and supportive. Together they have made the journey less scary for me, as I always know there is someone I can contact for help if I get stuck. I am still finding my way – Amazon Ads I’m looking at you! – but each day I get a genuine thrill knowing that people are buying and reading my books. The feedback I receive is priceless, and every time I get a 5-star review or a reader sends me a lovely email, I dance a little jig inside my head.



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just go for it! Try to picture just one person who you are writing for. It could be a friend, relative, or a complete stranger. Imagine they are sitting opposite you and you are curled up on the sofa chatting to them with a cup of tea or coffee in your hands. What stories would you tell them?

Sit down at the computer, or with pen and paper, and just start writing. Let all your words just spill out onto the page and don’t worry about sorting them all out until you have exhausted all your ideas. Then you can start to fashion your words into a coherent set of chapters, and before you know it, you will have written a book.

There are so many great guides, web articles and books out there to help you, whether you are a ‘plotter’, a ‘panster’ or a ‘planster’! The most important thing, though, is to enjoy the process.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have published three books about our Algarve Adventures: Living the Dream – in the Algarve, Portugal; Living the Quieter Algarve Dream; and an anthology of expat stories entitled A New Life in the Algarve, Portugal.

My next writing adventure took me into the world of anthologies with my Travel Stories Series. The first book, Chasing the Dream – A new life abroad, was released in June 2021, quickly followed by Itchy Feet – Tales of travel and adventure, and Wish You Were Here – Holiday Memories. In December 2021, I published the Travel Stories Collection, an eBook box set featuring all three books in the series, together with a further 17 exclusive bonus chapters.

I am now busy working on my next book, which is all about our rescued Spanish water dog.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

As I mentioned, I have found there is a genuine sense of camaraderie and support amongst my fellow memoir writers, and I have a fabulous team of beta readers now that I can rely on to pore over my work for me. The team also includes some loyal readers who are always honest with their feedback. I’m always open to new members joining the team too.



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you to everyone that has bought my books. You have no idea how exciting that is for me as a small independent author. I hope you continue to enjoy my work and please do send me your feedback and comments. I love hearing from my readers.



Where can people connect with you?

I write a monthly newsletter which has grown into a 40-page glossy magazine. It’s packed full of articles, travel memoir book reviews, interviews with authors, together with a splash of art, photography and news about the Algarve.

And it’s free to subscribe!

If you are interested in signing up, just click the link here:

https://www.alysonsheldrake.com/news/

If you click the link above, you can also scroll down and read the latest edition.

You can find out more about my books and art on my website:

www.alysonsheldrake.com

Thank you so much for inviting me to be a guest on your blog.

 

All paintings – CAPTION: Original acrylic painting © Alyson Sheldrake

All photographs CAPTION: © Dave Sheldrake Photography


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview