WC Clinton interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

First, there was the Big Bang. Although, I understand that scientists now say that wasn't exactly first. It was very close to first, though - close enough to get a participation trophy, at least, so it seems as good a place as any to start.
It wasn't until sometime much, much later that the next notable event in our story occurred, which is known as the Big Boom.  Or something close to that - a boom of planetary proportions in which human population swelled significantly, and the result was me.
My impact on the world so far has been immeasurable, only not with the connotation one usually associates with that phrase.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began before memory.  My mother recorded anecdotal evidence in a baby book (which, by the way, should give away that I was the oldest of her children) stating that I often memorized whole books before I was able to read.
Later, and unknown to me at the time, my first girlfriend had a literary connection. In first grade I used to hold hands on the school bus with Pearl S. Buck's granddaughter.
Throughout my school days I could often be seen with a book in hand, often completely oblivious to anything going on around me.  Today, I am still identified as a reader by those who (pre-Covid shutdown) would spot me in the office cafeteria flipping pages or scrolling through an e-reader.  I still do those things, but no one sees me anymore.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I began writing creatively on impulse and in a certain low-key state of rebellion against the educational institution.  I was bored with a standard holiday composition assignment in second grade: "I am a Pilgrim."  Rather than regurgitate the standard tale of a harsh New England winter and indigenous aid that culminated in a feast, I concocted a story of a young pilgrim who overhears a plot to use the planned festivities to take the Pilgrims by surprise attack.
I have always been a deep daydreamer, and such was the case the day the teacher read this story aloud to the class; I only realized she was reading the story when the laughter broke through my reverie.
The next year I was exposed to the format of plays in class, so I had to try that out.  Becoming a writer was more of an organic process for me until I finally discovered that this was what I actually wanted to keep on doing.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I haven't found it yet, but I intend to keep on looking.  It's buried around here somewhere, and I aim to uncover it.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

First, I would question their sanity for coming to me for advice.  I am hardly the picture of success in this field.  However, having dispensed with that, the only maxim I can offer is, "don't quit."


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Despite being entertained by tales like the Norman Mailer/Gore Vidal slugfest, I find the supportive nature of the community quite a pleasant antidote to the cut-throat competition that my American culture tries to represent as the natural order of things.  Human beings evolved from social animals that supported each other into tribal animals that helped each other to survive, and we need to move more in that direction if we expect to continue.
But I digress...


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you.
Thank you.


Where can people connect with you?

On Twitter:  @wcclinton1
You can also find some of my stuff for free on Medium.com in Play Full.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview