Traci Rhoades interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My earliest memory of books takes me back to my hometown library. I remember the box set of Peter Rabbit. I checked out the book, Ira Sleeps Over, so often, they should have given me the copy of the book. It was the first book I. bought my daughter.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I grew up thinking it would be amazing to write books. My mom saved a story I wrote about elves in second grade, and I had it framed for my office. Somewhere along the way, I lost sight of that dream. It seemed too hard, more than I could accomplish. Through hard work and perseverance, I found my way to a blog, then a publisher.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

One can expect to experience the full range of emotions, both when writing, when interacting with readers, and when looking to be published. Like many other things in life, I've had to move past how I feel about it. Writing is my work, and everything else is harmony. I'm honored to get to do it all.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Rejection is real, so get used to it. Find writing friends. Write something every single day. Develop a discipline of writing, and don't just wait for inspiration. Keep a notebook with you at all times. Read everything you can get your hands on, in a variety of genres.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first book, Not All Who Wander (Spiritually) Are Lost, tells my church story, and those of sixteen friends. Starting out in one denomination, I realize many church traditions had great influences on my life. This realization sparked a fire of passion in me, to get to know my brothers and sisters in Christ, and in doing so, to experience more of Jesus.


Shaky Ground: What To Do After The Bottom Drops Out is my next book, and it releases July 19, 2022. In this series of essays, I continue to find profound beauty and endless insights in my spiritual wanderings among church traditions. I encourage readers to explore practices – some ancient and others unconventional – that offer solace for those times when ‘the bottom drops out.’ It is available for pre-order on amazon or the publisher's website.

What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I can't get over the fact that I call real life authors, friends. I'm active on twitter, and the amount of books we discuss thrill me to no end. It's a life that's a perfect fit for me, and gives me tremendous joy.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I'm first of all a storyteller. Learning from the recorded words of King Jesus, it's the most effective way to offer spiritual food to starving souls. Some of the highest compliments I receive are 
1) You made me think.
2) You're the reason I tried a new church or a new practice.
3) You convinced me to read the Bible.


Where can people connect with you?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview