Tobin Marks interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My mom read to me when I was a child and I believe that started my love of books. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I wrote poetry for years, but wanting to write novels really didn't bite until a girlfriend told me I had the talent to write books. She passed away, and one of the last things she told me was for me to believe that I could write as much as she did. The dedication in my debut book is to her.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been a huge learning process. Each time I get an edit back, I learn a little more. Each time I read a review, I learn a little more. Each time I read a book, I learn a little more. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Get an editor. The meaner the better. Listen to your editor. And each time you get an edit back, remember: there are no sacred cows in your story. Thick skin helps.


Tell us about your book/books:

My story is an epic style multi-genre multi-narrative scifi fantasy with a good dab of dystopia thrown in. In other words: an editor's nightmare. 

The last raindrop fell decades ago, and Earth is dying of thirst. The water wars of the late 21st century were far worse than the oil wars from 100 years earlier. With only a couple generations of habitability left on Earth, an Ark ship was built, filled with 10k colonists, and sent to another M-class planet. On board the arkship was a seer from a preternaturally powerful family. Based on her visions, she writes a series of prophecy books to help guide the human colonies for 1000 years until the end times. To help facilitate the tenets of the prophecy she bioengineers a sentient dragon to help the humans long after her death.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The Twitter writing community is probably the most supportive group of any kind that I've ever been associated with. Rarely is there any discord. Probably because they make a great effort to stay away from overt political/religious/social issues.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for your support. Because frankly, readers are why writers write, and if I can connect somehow, then it's all worth it. If my words can make someone laugh, cry, smile, get angry, fall in love, or just escape for a while, then it's all been worth it.


Where can people connect with you?

The best ways to contact me are the following. 

My Twitter address: @tobinmarks

My website: www.tobinmarks.com

My email: author.tobinmarks@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview