Simeon Care interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi, my name's Simeon Care (seriously), and I'm a 36-year-old SFF author from England. I write contemporary fantasy and mostly create stories where magic intersects with our world in some way. I am working on a pure science fiction story, though, that I'm quite excited about. Most of my work tends towards the comic and the surreal.


When did your love of books begin?

I've always been obsessed with stories from a very young age, so it's hard to say - probably since before I can remember. I have vivid memories of my gran reading me a selection of Narnia and Discworld books when I was around ten years old, and they are still some of my favourites today.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I think I always wanted it deep down, but I'm dyslexic, so I assumed it probably wasn't realistic. I started seriously pursuing it in 2020.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been really positive! I've had a lot of help and support from the writing community, and the writing process seems to suit me well. I write little and often, but that works for me.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be willing to take advice and work on your craft, engage with the writing community on Twitter and be prepared for a lot of rejection.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut novel is about an anxious philosophy student who sees demons but refuses to tell anyone or go to a doctor. He assumes they can't be real, but when he returns home for the summer, an extremely large demon comes through a portal in his village, eats a villager and goes to sleep in a nearby wood. Our anxious hero is the only person who can see the demon, the only person who can stop it before it wakes up and feeds again. But what does this all mean? Where did the demon come from? And, if demons are real, what else might be out there?


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

All the support and help I've received, plus the friends I've made. I would never have found my agent without the writing community. It really is full of incredibly kind, supportive people.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading! You have no idea how much it means to me.


Where can people connect with you?

My website is www.simeoncare.com

You can subscribe for updates on my book there (I don't post them often). You can also follow me on Twitter @SimeonCare . I love to chat books, and I mostly post about writing, funny things my kids say and TV and film.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview