Robert Burns interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began when I was very little. My mother was a big reader and I have many wonderful memories of going to the bookstore and picking something out. The books that stuck with me the most from my teen years and continually pushed me to read more would have to be Artemis Fowl, Series of Unfortunate Events, and of course Harry Potter.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I always loved writing. I remember writing a 50k word story just for fun in elementary school that I was really proud of. But then I grew up, found other passions, other ways to make a living, and really hadn't been writing until the pandemic hit. The pandemic gave me the time inside to really focus on writing and rediscover my joy of it.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

A whirlwind! I really enjoyed the process of writing my first draft. Feeling the story come together, developing characters, world building, and reaching the conclusion was wonderful. I must admit, I have not enjoyed the editing and revision process nearly as much though haha. It's a crucial process to make sure I put out the best and most readable story I can, but it really kicked my butt!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

DO IT!!! Write that first book for you. Not for anyone else. If you enjoy doing it, finish your book and get it out there! Then, whatever happens after you publish, is icing on the cake.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut novel Walking on Thin Ice will be available on Friday, Dec 17 on Amazon and KU here: https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Thin-Ice-Drucker-Thriller-ebook/dp/B09M67WCCQ/
Walking on Thin Ice is a murder mystery/crime thriller following rookie journalist Rachel Drucker as she tries to solve the cold case disappearance of eight year old Julia Brown 20 years earlier. Her father, Detective Ted Drucker, the lead investigator on the original case, died full of remorse unable to find Julia and the case directly led to his death. Can Rachel find justice or is she doomed to meet the same fate as her father?
I hope people find the book a page turning fun read that keeps you invested for a few hours of escapism. I didn't write this book to win any writing awards, but I wrote it to give fans of this genre an enjoyable few hours. Perhaps on a long train ride, in the airport, or by the beach (even if that beach is just your living room with the fireplace on).  


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I know a lot of people say amazing things about the writing/reading community, which is all true, but I can say with 100% confidence I would not be publishing next week without the writing community.
My friends and family are not readers, a few brave souls who did read my book hadn't read 300 pages of anything since high school. Contrast that with the writing community who are brilliant writers and vivacious readers. All my beta readers were people I'd never met in person from the writing community. So many questions answered and so much support provided online. I cannot stress enough just how crucial it was for me. My beta readers, those who have accepted ARCs, and then those who have been pushing, encouraging, and helping me above and beyond I really can't thank enough. Whatever success this book has, it wouldn't even have seen the light of day without the writing community and the wonderful people who provided support every step of the way.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you! I am a firm believer that time is the most valuable commodity any of us have. Whether you spent 5 minutes on the back cover or hours reading my novel, I am so appreciative you took time out of your day to spend some on me and Walking on Thin Ice. I can only hope you enjoy reading the book as much as I enjoyed writing it.


Where can people connect with you?

Currently my social media only extends to Twitter where I can be found @RobWritesGood. I hope to expand soon, but I can also be reached via e-mail at RobertBurnsWrites@gmail.com for those wanting another way to get in touch!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview