Paula Smith interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My romantic comedy, Alice, Shaken and Definitely Stirred was published by The Conrad Press in January 2021.  As well as being primary school teacher and author, I am the proud mum of four grown-up sons. My favourite pastimes are walking, afternoon cream teas and gin tasting, not necessarily in that order.  


When did your love of books begin?

As a very young child when my late mum introduced me to Peter Rabbit and the many characters of Beatrix Potter.  I was the youngest of five children and to get my mum all to myself was a rare and special time.  Curling up together with these books is a very special memory.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Much later on in my life.  When my four sons grew up and I started to gain more time for myself, I had an idea of a film I wanted to write.  Having no idea how to put a film script together, I thought I would write in a genre I was familiar with so I started my first novel.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

A tricky one with many ups and downs! I would constantly write and rewrite chapters.   When I felt I had written the best story I could, I bought the Writers and Artists Yearbook back in 2019 and wrote to many, many literary agents.  Some wrote back telling me it wasn’t quite what they were looking for and some didn’t reply at all.  One literary agent told me they receive up to one hundred manuscripts a week!  However, I was determined not to give up. Eventually I found a literary agent who had set up their own publishing company and my first romantic comedy was published.  The Conrad Press is a hybrid publisher.  I paid towards the costs of publishing but the owner, James Essinger, a writer himself, is very experienced and was able to make the route to publishing much easier than going fully independent.  He was able to offer advice, a front cover designer and typesetter and arranged the actual printing and publishing of my novel on Amazon and Kindle.  My book can be ordered from any bookshop and I have been lucky enough that my own Waterstones, where I live in Macclesfield, has agreed to stock some copies of my novel.  Waterstones are very supportive of new authors.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Getting started is always tricky but you would be amazed how quickly it all falls into place.   There are good days and bad days.  Days when I am a prolific writer and days when I just need to wait for the inspiration to come.  When writing, I=I regularly keep reviewing the chapters I have written and try to make it the very best I can.  Getting other’s  views can be very helpful.  Don’t fear any constructive feedback.  You have a choice to take it on board … or not.  There are also many good publishers who offer writing courses and a forum to share your writing.  f you want to go the traditional route of publishing, it is highly competitive. Make sure every chapter counts and remember that agents very often ask for just the first 3 chapters of a book.  It has to grab the reader’s interest from the very start.


Tell us about your book/books:

My book is called Alice, Shaken and Definitely Stirred.  It is an uplifting romantic comedy that takes you on Alice’s journey, interweaving her relationships with real-life characters and dreams involving her favourite romantic screen idols.   Lamenting the loss of her long-term partner and having been made redundant, Alice makes a New Year’s resolution to get on with life, and definitely without a man. But things don’t quite go to plan. As her Aunt Betty says, ‘Men, dear, are like buses, there are none on the horizon then three come along at once.’ Alice certainly is shaken and definitely stirred!



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Connecting with new people and sharing experiences and ideas.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If you enjoy a book – review it. It is so easy to do.  Reviews are so important and a particularly important part of helping to promote independent author book sales. 


Where can people connect with you?

I have an account on Twitter (@PaulaSmith2424), Instagram (@paulatheauthor) and I have my own website paulatheauthor.net where I have an email link.  I would be very happy to talk to writers who are on the journey towards publishing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown