Owen Mullen interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I have two bios out in the world of social media. What neither 'bio' tells you, is how long and desolate the road to publication was! If anyone had told me it would take over nine years and a million rejections I would have given it a miss! When publication finally arrived it was by my wife Christine's hand as an Indie (you'll hear a lot about Christine). The books were well received but any success seemed like a springboard - hit a decent score then dive back to the shadows. Step back up to the plate Christine - she found a new and enthusiastic Indie publisher who was delighted to get my books out there...almost right off the bat, Games People Play got long-listed for Crime Book Of The Year - I got invited onto a TV program to talk about my books (I'll see if I can get it to share) - The Sunday Times Crime Club awarded me their STAR  PICK⭐ - I hit the top 100 more than once - got several bestsellers 
THIS WAS IT... DEFINITELY
Alas, no, not that simple. I was flying higher than I had on my own, but was still diving for the shadows after each success. 
FINALLY I HAD REACHED THE POINT OF GIVING UP. 
I was literally one email from walking away when a new publisher signed me. It's early days in this new part of my journey, but already it feels as though the sun is shining for me. I certainly hope so. 
So, to anyone aspiring to anything out there I guess my message is don't give up. I'm reminded of a quote from 
DON'T QUIT
Often success is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man
So don't give up though the pace seems slow
You might succeed with another blow.


When did your love of books begin?

Like many people it was walking through the mysterious and wonderful, row upon row of books in my local library... the atmosphere gripped me whole and to this day has never let go. I still spend hours in libraries and book shops picking up random novels to read a short extract. Sadly my beautiful local library with its ornate ceilings, marble stairs and carved wood has moved to a more functional building... but the memories of those days remain. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Despite winning a national short-story competition at the age of 10 I didn't consider the idea until Christine and I built a home on Crete. I woke up one morning, announced I was going to write a book and immediately discovered this was what I was meant to be doing with my life. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I think my intro covers this one! 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

As above... DON'T QUIT


Tell us about your book/books:

I write crime fiction because that's what I read. I've been writing for several years now and I have eleven published books. I'll break them down for anyone who's interested. 
The Charlie Cameron Series... 
A private detective set in Glasgow, but because of the amazing 'backdrops' in Scotland Charlie's cases take him countrywide. Although he has his own 'drivers', Charlie isn't the usual at-odds-with-authority, broken-down character. He's doing all right and life is good - when he's not running for his life that is. He's definitely the guy you want on your side, quite simply, he never gives up and never gives in. 
The Glass Family... 
A gripping and intense, high-stakes London gangland crime series. 
The Mackenzie Series... 
Psychological/revenge thrillers set in Glasgow
And So It Began... 
An ex-cop turned detective takes you through the dark and dangerous underbelly of New Orleans. 
Out Of The Silence... 
An international revenge thriller set against the amazing backdrop of Pakistan... a raw and emotional journey inspired by a true story. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The support. From day one I've been blown away by the outstanding desire there is to help each other climb the ladder. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I hope you can read the books the way they play out in my head... and thank you to the many devoted followers who have encouraged me on the journey. 


Where can people connect with you?

The newsletter in the link below is where you'll get to hear all the latest news, also the social media sites where  you can easily connect with me. 
linktr.ee/OwenMullen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview