Otho Eskin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Otho Eskin and I am a thriller writer. My second book in the Marko Zorn series, HEAD SHOT, is being released on December 14. My career in the Foreign Service unknowingly prepared me for being a thriller writer later in life as I witnessed political corruption. While stationed in East Berlin during the cold war, the East German intelligence service (Stasi) published a book entitled Who’s Who in the CIA. This propaganda effort listed me and was intended to claim that I was a U.S. spy. (I was not!). This was part of the East German and ultimately Soviet disinformation campaign to make the work of the U.S. Foreign Service officers serving abroad more difficult. I have also written a number of plays which have been professionally produced in Washington, New York and in Europe. 


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve always gravitated towards and been around books and art, and I only came to love them more when I began to write them. If I had to name one of my inspirations, it would be John le Carre. George Smiley gave me my infatuation with thrillers/mysteries/suspense/noir. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

After I finished college and law school, as well as a short stint in the Army, I joined the United States Foreign Service; half in D.C. and half serving abroad, traveling and participating in negotiations. When I retired, I knew that I would need to go into another career - I tend to be a bit of a restless person. I’ve always loved the theater, and went to a lot of shows growing up. I took some courses and workshops, and eventually started writing full length plays. I guess you could say that’s when I caught the writing bug.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I do constant rewrites and I write very fast, then go back and clean it up over and over. I’m very private about the work at the beginning, and then once I feel like I have a good first draft, I do open it up for comments. I get most of my advice from my agent Judith, who’s feedback I immensely trust. So I do need feedback, of course every writer does: it’s important to have collaboration - art can’t exist in a vacuum. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Revise and rewrite. You’ve written your book and it seems pretty good. You’re anxious to get feedback from your teacher, your agent, your editor, so you are ready to send it. Don’t. Carefully review it and do rewrites. There is always room for improvement to make your work go from pretty good to great. One of the best techniques is to read your manuscript out loud, starting on page one. It’s amazing how many glitches you will find and how many improvements you can make.


Tell us about your book/books:

I published my first thriller, THE REFLECTING POOL, in 2020. The novel follows Marko Zorn, a D.C. homicide detective who has a strong ethical compass but refuses to play by the rules. The sequel, HEAD SHOT, also featuring Marko Zorn, will be released on December 14, 2021. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Engaging with other writers and readers helps my work grow. It’s a very collaborative community.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If you’ve read THE REFLECTING POOL, I’m excited for you to give HEAD SHOT a read - it’s an entirely different plot with lots of new exciting twists and turns. If you haven’t read either, I hope you’ll give them both a look!


Where can people connect with you?

Website: www.Othoeskin.com 

Instagram: @othoeskin 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/othoeskinauthor/ 

Twitter: @othoeskin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview