Nicole Thorne interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I've always had a vivid imagination. I probably fell in live with movies before I discovered my love of books. I loved to be transported to other places. I didn't really develop a true love of books until I was about ten. Once I did, I was hooked.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

In a way, I have always been an author. Most of the time the plots and the characters don't even make it out of my own head. As a child I would write plays for the other kids in my street to act out. I was fortunate enough to grow up in the 70's. We had a great community feel and a very carefree environment in comparison to today. Aged 10 I won a writing competition in school.  In high school I brought an English teacher to tears with my story about bullying. I have dabbled with writing all of my life, but only self published a couple of years ago.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I think that's quite a tough question. I am incredibly proud of the amazing reviews that both of my published books have received. I get a buzz every time I get a sale or a review. In all honesty, if it wasn't for the pandemic I still think my first novel would be sat on my hard drive unfinished. I run my own business and often work more than 60 hours per week. It's difficult to find the time I need to dedicate to writing. I find it frustrating that I have 2 works in progress unfinished. I know they're both going to be great books, I just need to find the time to finish them!!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I'd say to any budding author " just do it!" Try not to let the self doubt stop you. Don't spend too much time going back over what you've written (until you've finished, then go over it several times to edit!) Write when you can. Write when the mood takes you. Write down your innermost thoughts, you can edit it to suit your narrative.


Tell us about your book/books:

I've published 2 books so far.
Chasing Butterflies and The China Doll.
Chasing Butterflies is so dear to me and such an emotional rollercoaster. It starts with the main character Hope and her husband Ben getting ready to go for a first scan in early pregnancy. It's clear that they have a strong emotional bond and they're both excited about the baby. Sadly, they receive devastating news. Hope spirals into depression and this puts strain on her relationship. She starts to have dreams and flashbacks from her childhood. Eventually, she embarks upon a journey to revisit her past in search of answers about her fear of butterflies.
The China Doll is a prequel to Chasing Butterflies. 
Set in 1970's Cornwall, The China Doll is the story of a troubled and fragile young artist who is trying to move away from her disapproving mother. When she meets local fisherman Janes, sparks fly and they embark upon an intense romance. However, a face from the past threatens Helen's new life.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing/ reading community is amazing. Everyone is so supportive and happy to help each other up. I think we all realise that we're better together.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I hope you enjoy my books. That's it I think. I wrote my books in the hope that they would mean as much to other people as they do to me. I'd like to hope that my readers remember my characters and my story lines. I hope they smile at the mond, warm moments. I hope they laugh at the silly parts and I hope they cry with my characters too. Ultimately my stories have hope.


Where can people connect with you?

I'm on Twitter @nicthorneauthor 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview