My One Star Review Experience - Adam T Best

Everyone is proud of the books they have on Amazon.  If you’re like me, you think, “I worked hard on my book, and I put everything into making it the best I can.”  I’m excited every day to open Amazon to see new reviews.  My first review was a five-star review.  Getting a five-star review, I can’t help but smile big. You get the feeling of floating on air, the sun shining, and birds singing. You get the idea. It’s a great feeling.

  

Today I opened my Amazon, receiving my first one-star review. I’ve heard other authors say getting a one-star review stings, and they aren’t kidding. Seeing the one-star review felt like getting punched in the gut on a cloudy and grey day.  My first thought is of frustration and anger.  I wanted to throw my phone across the room. But I’ve received good reviews so far. So why did I get a one-star review?

Then I remembered seeing a topic on Twitter that everyone gets a one-star review, sooner or later.  Currently, I’m reading Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare.  I’m only a few chapters in, and I enjoy the book.  I looked on Amazon, and sure enough.  People gave one-star reviews for Clown in a Cornfield.  I looked up other books I’ve enjoyed.  Almost all of them have had at least a one-star review.

Maybe, just maybe.  Getting a one-star review is equal to getting a rejection letter. It’s part of being a writer.  It’s part of learning the craft of writing and growing as a writer. Even trying your best and putting everything you have into it, not everyone will enjoy your writing.  Some people love only to criticize everything.  My advice is to do the best you can. Get an editor, and if you get a bad review, see the bright side if you can learn from it.  What could you do better in the future? Keep writing and keep learning how to be the best you can be.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview