Mike DeLucia interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m Mike DeLucia. I’m 61 yo, and I was born and raised in the Bronx NY. I have been living in the suburbs since the 1990s. I enjoy red blend wines and Prosecco, travel, family, friends and good food. The beach is also wonderful. 


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began in college. I am an English major and found that literature is the greatest teacher of history, love, life, relationships, the human condition.  


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It began when I wanted to write screenplays for me to act in. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It is a ton of hard work. As an indie author, I would sell as many books as I had family and friends, and that would dwindle after the novelty wore off. It’s about writing, which is tough, but the promotion is tougher. It’s exhausting.  


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

See my answer above. It’s hard work, but if you want to write, that’s the only path if you want your stuff to get out there. Whatever you do, don’t stop. Write before work or after, when you are taking a sick day or waiting for something. Keep a sharpie and a pad in your car and write down all the ideas you get in the shower. If you don’t write down your ideas, they will vanish.   


Tell us about your book/books:

While my stories seem to be in the sports genre, they really aren’t. They are stories about life, relationships, overcoming obstacles, blazing a trail, love, family, etc. Sports are in the background.  A lot of my childhood consisted of street games and that has found its way into my writing.  My 3 main books, which are also screenplays, are Madness: The Man Who Changed basketball is a historical fiction novel about the man who singlehandedly changed an entire sport. It won 9 awards and is being considered by several people as a film. Being Brothers is about 2 brothers growing up in the Bronx in 1973. They don't get along but wind up on the same Little League team. It's not only about that it's about what life was like for kids in the days before cell phones... also being considered as a film. Born For The Game is novel about a strong, trail blazing, badass girl who becomes the first female in Major League Baseball. I also write books that are between 160-200 pages so people could give it a shot and it's not a huge investment of time. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Most people are very supportive of each other, but i have to say that it's really tough for me to read, write, promote and have a life. I mostly listen to books these days. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Give my books a chance. Stretch past the mindset of "I don't like sports" or "It's not my genre." My books are about being human.


Where can people connect with you?

My Amazon page has a lot: amazon.com/author/mikedelucia

booksbymikedelucia.com is my website. 
Click these links to check out my work:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown