Lucy McLaren interviews Bláithín O’Reilly Murphy

Today I have another author interview to share. I met Bláithín through the Feed My Reads community and am pleased to share my interview with her below!

Hello! So, first of all – tell me a little bit about yourself!

Hi! I’m Bláithín O’Reilly Murphy. My Irish name means little flower in English. I’m a retired Wedding Planner and mum to two angels in Heaven and an adorable 2-year-old blue-eyed cherub with a devilish glint in his eye! I am a crazy cat lady and big fur mama to four! I first started writing when I was 8 and have a book of incomprehensible poetry to my name! I live in a little chocolate box near the Irish coast with my current husband and our furry and not so furry family.

What’s the name of your book? Can you give a brief outline of the plot (spoiler-free, of course)?

I’m most recently published in a fabulous Christmas anthology called More than Mistletoe! My short story is this collection of festive romance stories is called Sealed with a Christmas Kiss and is a short prequel to my upcoming novel It started with a Gift – out in late 2022. 

More than Mistletoe, the debut anthology from The Christmas Collective, is an eclectic and inclusive mix of stories, with swoon-worthy characters, second chances and happy endings.

That sounds like the perfect cosy Christmas book! Where can we get our hands on it?

Between the pages, you will discover classic romance, festive thrillers, LGBTQ+ love stories, hilarious romcoms and historical settings, these stories really do span the whole spectrum of festive fiction.

More than Mistletoe was published on November 1st 2021 and is available here http://mybook.to/morethanmistletoe and through select stockists in Ireland, England and Scotland. 

Why do you write in your chosen genre? What’s your favourite thing about it?

My current genre is romance and my recently published piece and current work in progress [It started with a Gift] are Festive Romances. I adore Christmas, for me, it’s a wonderful time of year. And romance, well as a retired Wedding Planner its always been part of my life. Combining the two seemed almost natural for me. But I realise that not everyone finds Christmas to be the most wonderful time of year. And not everyone finds romance as easy or even at all. The complexity of this really appeals While I write romance and there is an expectation of a happily ever after; they’re not always what you might expect. 

What got you into writing? What do you enjoy most about it?

I’m not sure any one thing got me into writing. I just always wanted to write. I would always ‘write a book’ on my new year’s resolutions lists – took me some years before I actually did! Careers and babies got in the way at times, but now I find myself back at the typeface and my heart is happy. 

What’s your go-to music for a writing session?

Now that depends on the scene! I don’t have one album or artist that I listen to as I write. And often I don’t have any music on. Right now though I have Christmas FM on in the background; which is both seasonally and writing appropriate for once! [ I did have Christmas songs on repeat in July to help me finish a tricky scene!]

Where do you find inspiration for your stories?

Everywhere and anywhere. I have notebooks and notefiles on my phone full of ideas, character traits and book names. Sometimes its takes some work to thread them all together or times someone will say something to me and a whole story will spring forth from a single sentence. The unfortunate thing is there is simply not enough time to write them all!

What do you do when you’re not writing?

Don’t laugh, I love to organise – anything, everything! Think Monica from friends – but my ‘Monica Closet’ is organised within an inch of its life! I’m the person my friends call to organise their closets, kitchens, playrooms. I just love it! I’ll deliberately let little areas in my house get a little disorganised – just to have the joy of organising them. – Yes, I’m that person. 

I also love to bake. Although I’m a stress baker – the worst kind. Cause I’m also a stress eater; you can see where this is going! I’ve been on a real pie kick lately. I recently tried two new pie recipes, a Fresh Strawberry Pie, that was described as a little slice of heaven and dear God it was! And for Thanksgiving, I got a little fancy with the crust of a Sea Salt Carmel Apple Pie. [Check out my IG for some pics :)]

I also love to read cookbooks – I’m in the middle of The A to Z of Pasta by Rachel Roddy; what that woman can’t do with words and food isn’t worth eating or reading about! 

What’s your favourite book from childhood? Has it influenced you as a writer?

Little Women – it’s possibly still my favourite to this day! I’d like to think it has, mostly because I try my best to write diverse women who grow [ I’m still working on this skill!] 

Where can we learn more about you and your books?

I have a new website launching in the new year, but for now, you can stalk me here: 

https://www.facebook.com/BlaithinOReillyMurphyAuthor


Please do follow both Lucy McLaren @lucyamclaren and Bláithín O’Reilly Murphy @WhatBladidnext

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview