Lilla Glass interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Lilla Glass, and I’m a fledgling speculative fiction author. While fantasy is my favorite genre by far—especially dark, portal, and high varieties—I also dabble in soft sci-fi and horror.  My debut series, The Reel of Rhysia, was picked up by City Owl Press in January 2021, and the first installment, THE UNSEEN, is set to debut in July 2023! While that series is my baby, I also have short works featured in anthologies published by Papillon du Pere, Mystic Owl, and Madhouse Books. 



When did your love of books begin?

Oh, goodness. I genuinely can’t remember a time when I didn’t love books. My mother was an avid storyteller, and though I didn’t live with her for much of my childhood, I carry that love of story with me to this day.  



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Not long ago, honestly. I wrote a lot in my youth (mostly angsty poetry), but I never thought of writing as something I could do as a career. When I first got the idea for The Unseen, it was just a pet project I’d work on in my free time. By the time I finished the first draft, I’d fallen in love with the craft, and I was committed to making sure the story was heard. I still wasn’t certain it was good enough to publish, but after some positive feedback from friends, then strangers, then (eventually) an acquisition editor, I’m nearly convinced it’s a keeper. 



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

To sum it up in a single word: weird. I was lucky to have found supportive people who believed in my work and knew a bit about “the biz” early on in my journey. They kept me sane throughout an intense and lengthy barrage of query rejections. Early on, the whole industry seemed like an unknowable mystery. Ever since signing my first deal, it’s gradually gotten more normal. That’s the strange thing about dreams—the possibility of signing a publishing contract seems about as realistic as sprouting wings… until you sign one.  



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

So, so many things. My best advice I could give (which I must constantly remind myself of) is to write like YOU. It is tempting to pick up a book by a brilliant author and berate yourself for not writing like them, but their story is already out there, yours isn’t. Take inspiration from everything, but don’t drown yourself in the influences of others. Finding your own authorial voice is about the most important thing you can do as a writer. 


Tell us about your book/books:

The Reel of Rhysia series is based loosely on Irish folklore. It’s dark, whimsical, lyrical, and occasionally irreverent, with themes of friendship, found family, and finding one’s place in the world. The story follows Elwyn, a thief who absconds from the syndicate that reared her on the advice of her invisible friend, Luatha. When her attempts to lay low land her in the sights of two nefarious tricksters, she teams up with a misfit crew of derelicts to save her own skin, a sickly orphan, and more than one world.

As for my short stories currently on the market:

Fresh Game (featured in 13 by 11 by Papillon du Pere) is a dark fantasy/horror tale in which a practiced predator bites off more than he can chew.

The Faerie Ring (featured in Enchanted Entrapments by Madhouse Books) is a heartwarming fairy tale in which a misfit boy stumbles into a new world and a life-changing friendship.

Thaw (featured in Magic Beneath the Mistletoe by Mystic Owl Press) is a fantasy romance in which a woman who hates winter with every fiber of her being gets to know him a little better.

Sugar Plum Redux (featured in The Bells of Christmas 2 by Papillon du Pere) is a darkly comical twist on The Nutcracker in which the sugar plum fairy moonlights as a monster hunter. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

A great many things! Stories are among the most wonderful things that people can bond over—they challenge us, teach us, and inspire us. Whenever I speak with a reader or writer, there is a sense of depth and community unlike any other. 



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Wait… I have readers? Just joking; I know there are a few of you out there! If I could say any one thing, it would be this: thank you. Honestly, it means so much to know that there’s someone out there who appreciates the weird little worlds I’ve crafted, and I appreciate your support more than I can say!


Where can people connect with you?

The best way to keep up with me is via my newsletter, which you can sign up for at www.lillaglass.com. I even send a free short story (a comedy set in the world of my series) to everyone who signs up. I am also on twitter at https://twitter.com/lilla_glass


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview