Kit Derrick interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I was really lucky growing up, and still have fond memories of sitting on my mum’s knee, having the Rupert The Bear books (the 70’s yellow hardbacks) read to me, then taking my turn doing the reading. I never stopped from there. I’ve inveigled my way into working in Libraries and bookshops over the years, in addition to more mundane jobs, and books, in all their variety of forms and content, bring pleasure and comfort to me constantly.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I think it was always a dream, but the first time I took the idea seriously was after finishing an English degree. The downside of the critical process of an English degree is that it can temporarily kill your enjoyment of reading for pleasure. Deadlines of completing several novels a week you didn’t choose, and reading them with an analysis hat on, rather than being able to soak them up can really dampen the desire to pick up a novel for fun. So I thought, if I can’t read them, why not try writing them. I don’t regret the degree at all though, without it I would probably never have encountered authors like Malory, Zamyatin, Perkins-Gilman or Treece. I have to admit, it took 25 years from that point to eventually knuckling down and getting books onto the shelves.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I found becoming an author to be fun, easy and organic, because I love writing. The process of becoming a ‘published author’ is slightly different. I’ve been through the rigours of academic publication, so decided that for fiction I’d go down the self-publishing route. Modern technology means it is so much more accessible than even ten years ago, and if you enjoy learning the processes around design, publishing, fonts, e-book creation etc then it’s actually a hugely exciting and interesting adventure too. The hardest part of the marketing and promotion.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just do it. There is no one correct route, but just write for the love of writing. Without that, you’ll struggle however you try to further your career. I think for most of us, while the recognition and audience is amazing, we’d write anyway.


Tell us about your book/books & what do you love about the writing/reading community?:

I have three novels out so far, all hugely different. Man in the Bath is a dystoptian warning about the dangers of social media, with our poor everyman accidentally creating a worldwide cult that spirals out of control. The Raven Sound is a dark and mystical tale of time travel to Liverpool in the 1960s and 1990s, with a man forced to confront his own demons and mysterious warnings of his imminent death. If you want something happier, tEXt me (with a Nokia 3310) is a fun modern echo of the movie Brief Encounter, and the temptations of an affair by mobile phone with your first love.

The wonderful thing about the reading and writing community is the massive support it provides, sharing experiences, answering questions, introducing me to new authors and hopefully helping my own writing reach out to new audiences.



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you so much. If you liked what you read, from me or anyone else, please leave a review (the lifeblood of authors). And have you thought of reading another too? :-) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kit-Derrick/e/B08XZRGRVK


Where can people connect with you?

www.kitderrick.com or @kitderrick1


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview