Kimberley Walker interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

Always. My mother taught me to read early because I constantly wanted her to read to me, so I was reading before I started school. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I knew by high school that I wanted to write. In my yearbook goals senior year I said I was going to write a book. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I started writing advertorials and progressed to special sections at a newspaper about a decade ago. Working with a strict deadline, on a variety of subjects and with different clients daily was like a boot camp. It helped me tremendously with discipline. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write. Even if you feel like it's crap, get the idea on paper. You can go back and pretty it up later. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I write two very different things. I've got a young children's series, “The How To Monster Guides” that has three books so far. How to Scare a Monster, How to Make Friends With a Monster, and How to Teach a Monster Manners,. These are rhyming picture books with bright simple monsters for little kids to enjoy. I will soon be releasing a fourth that is aimed at middle-grade. It’s about a pair of monster friends and the adventures they may or may not have. That’s a choose your own story path style of book, so the hijinks are entirely up to the reader.

My other series is for adults, Hot Cuppa Murder: A Katie Kingston Mystery. It’s a cozy mystery series about a young woman who owns a coffee shop and solves murders along the way. There is a fun supernatural backstory thrown in. I have the first one available on Amazon, and plan on releasing several more over the next year and a half. 


.

What do you love about the writing/reading community?

It's a supportive community; between the  lifts, and people mass buying, it's a great place to be! One of the best things about writers is that they are generally readers too, so they get both sides of the book. I know personally, I even appreciate “bad writing” more just because of how much effort is attached. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

My books are fun. My kid’s books are supposed to look accessible and make them want to draw; that's why I chose to illustrate by hand and keep the drawings incredibly simple.

The cozy mysteries are also fun reads. I like to call them “brain candy”. I may someday write the “great American novel” but for now I love writing easy reads for people to enjoy!


Where can people connect with you?

On Twitter as mousie77539

On Facebook as Kimberly Walker-Author

On Amazon as Kimberly Walker (search my name and monster or Katie Kingston as there are a few Kimberly Walkers who write.)  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview