Kate S. Martin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My earliest memories, probably like many others, was of Roald Dahl. My mum would take me to the local bookshop and let me choose one of his wonderful tales. I remember devouring Matilda in one sitting. Another important memory was in high school when I was studying The Handsmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I became engrossed in the language she used and fell in love with all kinds of genres after that - leading me to study literature at university and eventually become an English teacher at a high school.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

This is a tricky one. It kind of happened. I was struggling with some things in my personal life and needed an outlet. I listened to Tim Clare's couch to 80K podcast which gave little writing activities for fifteen minutes a day. I loved it. It became my own moment of peace each day, scribbling in my notepad whilst lying in my bed. From there, I created the characters of Elliot and Josh and started writing pretty much every day. No plot and no idea what I was doing but thoroughly enjoying it. I wrote a little each night in my notepad and eventually (a lot of notepads later!) I had my first draft!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I have enjoyed it, really. I ignored my first draft for a year. Then at the end of 2020, I remember thinking - should I do something with this? I contacted a few independent publishers, still not really knowing what I was doing. A couple of offers came in and I signed with Creative James Media. Since then, I have found a lot of support with the writing/reading community and enjoyed each process from editing to holding my final proof! I suppose my hardest part is my own self-doubt. I constantly feel like I'll get 'found out' and people will realise that the book is a load of twaddle and what was I thinking of ever starting this journey! 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Perseverance. I didn't attend any classes before I started writing or have any knowledge of the publishing industry but I was stubborn. I would keep writing, sometimes ten words a day, sometimes a hundred but I was going to see it through to the end. It helped because I never intended to have the story published. I was writing for my own good. I think that takes some pressure off yourself.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have a YA book coming out next March called Are you Okay, Elliot Hart? And in the middle of writing a follow on book that I hope to be out in 2023. The book explores the lives of Elliot Hart and Josh McBride. Elliot is a shy, sensitive teenage boy who cares for his mum. Josh is an angry, violent boy who lives with an abusive stepdad. They go on a trip together and soon see that you can't judge others without knowing where their journey began. I wanted to show teenagers that there's a story behind your fellow classmates. If everyone has more empathy in this world, then I believe it would be a more tolerant and kinder place to be. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Everything I have learnt about writing and publishing a novel has come through the community on Twitter. I don't even know where to start. I am in groups with fellow authors and ones, like me, debuting next year. Their understanding and support is invaluable. I discovered WriteMentor through Twitter that has led to me attending some great courses. I found my publisher, Creative James Media, on Twitter. It is one of the most supportive groups out there and I'm forever grateful for their constant support and advice.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I know it sounds cliche but I honestly feel that Elliot Hart is fuelled by 'Everyone is fighting a battle, be kind. Always.' What a tough few years we've all had - so I would want my readers to look out for each other and look after themselves.


Where can people connect with you?

My website: www.katemartinauthor.com


Or Instagram: @katemartin100


Or Twitter: @katemartin100


Or Facebook: @katesuzannemartin 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview