Iain C.M. Gray interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

                                          

When did your love of books begin?

I can’t remember a time when I haven’t read. But my love of literature started when I think I was about 16, I bought a copy of Aldous Huxley – Brave New World as I thought it would impress the girl I fancied behind the counter. It didn’t. She wasn’t. But when I read the book it was like someone had turned on a light in my head. I realised there were whole other worlds out there all contained between the binders of books. I then went on to devour any and all books I could find. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

This is a difficult question to answer as I’m not sure I ever did have the wish to become an author. Since I picked up a guitar when I was 14 I have found that I am a happier being when I am involved in some kind of creative pursuit. For a long time that pursuit was making music (I never achieved any success other than being a very good busker, which I really enjoyed by the way). Life took over and my involvement in creativity dwindled until I read Lonely Boy by Steve Jones (Sex Pistols guitarist). Somewhere in the book he talks about how he is simply a happier being when he is creating something and it doesn’t matter what the result is ie fame, money, recognition, the important thing is just to create something. Prior to reading this I had toyed with writing but had decided I wasn’t any good at it. After reading what he said I realised that it doesn’t really matter if I’m any good or not, as long as I am enjoying what I do. Again it was another ‘light bulb’ moment in my life.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

As per the above statement, I have not found the process that difficult as I know what my motivation for writing is. That’s not to say that I have found the writing easy, I have made many mistakes, and no doubt will continue to make many more. I have realised that there can be no end to re-writing things, and that sometimes you just need to stop re-writing and call things done. Searching for perfection is of course something I can get lost in (like most writers I assume), but getting lost is no good for me. So call it done and let it go.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

If you are writing then you are a writer. If you are not writing then you are not a writer. So just write. I don’t learn well by sitting in a class. I don’t learn well by reading How To books. I learn by doing. I don’t think there is anything wrong than just doing. If other people put you down, fuck them (pardon the French). As long as you know why you are doing what you are doing.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first writing effort is Zombies Wha Hae. It started out as being a zombie book written in the style of a Russian classic and was originally called If Tolstoy did Scottish Zombies. As I said earlier, I have made many mistakes, starting my writing career with a Russian classic was not a good idea. The premise of the book was to see how a bunch of drug addicts, alcoholics and random people got on in a zombie apocalypse, making the obvious parallels between zombies and drug addicts (I am in recovery, so I know a thing or two about addiction). The title is from the Robert Burns poem Scots Wha Hae (Scots Who Have).

My second writing effort is The Ruined Road and is a collection of short stories. There is a theme to them, but I’m not telling what the theme is, you’ll have to read them and guess. This is of course what I should have started my writing career with, not a Russian classic.

Both my books are only available on Amazon, they are both self-published. I won’t put in a link as it depends what country you are in. Search Iain CM Gray or Zombies Wha Hae or The Ruined Road and you should find my books.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I find writers are interested in things, they soak up information and enjoy dialogue. Writers are good to chew the fat with. Readers are I find an intelligent lot, so they are worth talking to.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you so very much for taking the time to read my work. That you have bothered means the world to me and provides a point to me doing what I do. I would carry on doing it without you, but that you read me makes me feel good. I thank you.


Where can people connect with you?

Probably best way would be e-mail – iaincmgray@gmail.com I am very new to Twitter but you can follow me there @iaincmgray


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview