Helen G. Huntley interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

Growing up I was never encouraged to read but the books I did have, I devoured. Everything from Mother Goose and Bible stories to my mother’s books she hid under her mattress. I would spend hours in the library looking for anything to read. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

My imagination had always been extravagant even as a small child. In my early teens I started writing down my stories and hiding them. I was quite the storyteller too, some people didn’t know if what I was telling them was real or made up. It was usually made up. Later I worked with others writing stories and plays but found some of the people a bit too snooty and critical of every little thing, more for the purpose of promoting themselves I suspected. I eventually left the group and after a while felt compelled to write again. The availability of self publishing was like a dream come true.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I am a bit of a recluse, so I don’t have much of a network. I’m struggling trying to figure things out on my own. I have a day job which is very busy so the time I write is left to the evenings, the weekends, holidays, and any vacations I take. I would love to have people to work with, throw off ideas and get feedback from. Although I am very friendly and kind, I am not good at making friends. I do have three wonderful Beta readers who are probably my biggest fans because they actually read my books and enjoy them. They are constantly encouraging me and I love them for that. 
I have no time for marketing except for an occasional promotion here or there which hasn’t been very profitable. Marketing and time for marketing and understanding it all has been a huge problem for me. I only want to write, but it seems being an author is more than that.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would say follow your heart and do what makes you happy and don’t listen to anyone or anything that has anything to say to discourage you. Take constructive criticism and use it to improve your writing. And, if you are not a hopeless recluse, find a network of others who have the same desires as you and be friends, help each other. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I am in the process of writing a Sci-Fi/Fantasy space opera series “The Onaterian Chronicles” about a galactic spy agency and its spies and the situations they get into in their galaxy. I wrote book 3, and then book 1 and am about to release book 2. There are 4, 5, 6 and 7 in my head developing. In between each of these I like to write something different to satisfy my creative mind. I have a western, a paranormal, and a pirate adventure. These are usually full of romance and I have to say all my books contain these elements. I like to have romance in everything, I can’t imagine a book without it.  They do get a little racy, some more than others and I definitely categorize them as “adult.”


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing/reading community is fantastic. Everyone is very helpful and respectful. I have learned a lot just from watching how some authors promote their books, from wording to presentation. The authors and editors that give help and tips are invaluable to me.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Whenever anyone reads my books and truly enjoys them it is the greatest joy of my life and encourages me to continue to write for them. I love interaction with people who are honestly interested in my writing.


Where can people connect with you?

Email is authorhelenhuntley@mail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview