Heather Serrano interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Like many of my author peers, I have been writing for as long as I can remember, but I have also been supporting myself for that long too. This has not come from writing.
Writing is such a love/hate relationship, sometimes more hate than love, but we authors can't resist.


When did your love of books begin?

I don't understand how anybody doesn't want to get lost in a good book. It's the ultimate escape. Years ago when I was in a book club, I was one of the few who finished the books each month. This is where I read my favorite book of all time, "Fall on your Knees" by Anne-Marie MacDonald. I was mesmerized by this story. I had dabbled in writing at this point, but never thought I could write like this.
And then there have been so many books where I have wondered, "How'd this thing get published?" I guess I have never given myself enough credit as a writer. My thought is, (and self-publishing is proof) "anyone can write a book." But it is not simple to create a story with compelling characters, plot twists and a not so predicatable ending.
Of course the ultimate award for any author is sales, and enough royalty money to buy a Pumpkin Spice Latte once in awhile. But after reading my book, "It Started with a Photograph", I received and email from the reader who said she was so engrossed in the story, she was sorry to get to the end. That was rewarding!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Writing is the easy part. Editing, more editing, more editing, hiring an editor and then publishing and marketing in the hard part. And there is SO much out there now. Self publishing has been a blessing and a curse.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Read a lot. I have learned so much from reading. Be brave. Let others read your work and be prepared for some (hopefully) constructive advice. This is no place for a delicate ego. This also comes with time.


Tell us about your book/books:

inheatherwords@wordpress.com


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the Twitter community. They are supportive, funny, great writers, and, of course, cat lovers.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I am supportive, funny, a darned good story teller, and, of course, a cat lover.


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter, @Serrano3H
Facebook


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview