H. Barnard interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I am a historical fiction author, formerly a lawyer. I am from Australia, but I now live in northern England, at the foot of Hadrian’s Wall. A Painted Winter, released on 21 December 2021, is my debut novel and is book one of the four-part Pictish Conspiracy series. I have a passion for history and archaeology, particularly in relation to iron age and medieval Britain. As a historical fiction writer, I focus on shining a light on lesser-known fascinating moments in history and bringing these moments to life for readers.


When did your love of books begin?

My mum was and is an avid reader and she taught me to read before I even went to pre-school. I used to love visiting the local library with her. There is something really magical and comforting about being surrounded by books, knowing you can escape into another world.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have always been writing little stories, for as long as I can remember. At about 4 years old I wrote an illustrated book about a caterpillar who travels the world. I still have it! More recently, developing the idea behind A Painted Winter inspired me to pursue writing at a professional level.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Long! I wrote “Painted Winter” at the end of 2018. But I think that is fairly typical. When it is your first book everything is new and a bit uncomfortable. I found working with an editor to be a bit confronting at first, but it taught me a lot about writing and also about myself in terms of dealing with constructive criticism.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Have patience, it is a long process. Understand that it is an incredibly competitive industry, so be realistic. Learn how to deal with rejection in a positive way – always think about how you can grow and improve in response.


Tell us about your book/books:

A Painted Winter is book one of the four-part Pictish Conspiracy series. Set in early medieval Scotland and Roman Britain, it tells the story of the ‘barbarian conspiracy’ which was a fourth century conflict in Britain when the Picts allegedly conspired with other ‘barbarians’ like the Saxons against the Romans. It is a fascinating, little known about moment in history that was influential in ending the Roman occupation of Britain. It is predominately historical fiction with some Celtic mythology / fantasy elements.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I have been part of the Bookstagram (on Instagram) community for almost two years and I have made so many friends there. It is a really supportive community, I love discovering new books and authors. I have only recently joined Twitter but it seems to be an equally supportive community, and perhaps a more candid one about writing, and the publishing process. It is really comforting to know that there are other people in a similar boat. It makes you feel like you can handle it because someone else has done so before you.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading my book! I hope my book inspires people to re-think the narrative around ‘barbarian’ tribes in Roman times and what it means to treat communities as ‘others’. This is an issue that is as relevant today as it was then.


Where can people connect with you?

I am on Twitter @HelenaBWrites but I am most active on Instagram @helenareadsandwrites

I am happy to chat with anyone about my books or about Pictish/Roman Britain history. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview