Devika Fernando interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi, and thanks for this opportunity. My name is Devika Fernando. I’m a German but also half Sri Lankan, and while I grew up in Germany, I’ve been living in Sri Lanka for the past decade. I’m a self-published romance novelist with over 15 books out.


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve basically been a bookworm for all of my life. First, I was read to, then I began reading books in German, basically devouring them. As a late teenager, I finally started reading books in English too. My love of romance novels was born in my 20s and I’ve been addicted since.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Somehow, the line between loving to read and loving to write was always blurred for me. I started writing short stories and poems almost as soon as I had started school. But becoming an author was only ever a distant dream; I never knew that one day, self-publishing and ebooks would be a thing.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s been a journey with a lot of challenges but I learned interesting things along the way and made new friends. For some time, I published wide (across various platforms such as GooglePlay, Apple, Kobo, Nook, Smashwords). Recently, I returned to only offering my books through Amazon. I find that the life of an indie author is a lot of trial-and-error. There’s no one strategy that fits all, especially when it comes to marketing.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Believe in yourself! Read as much as you can, write as much as you can. And don’t forget that being an author is so much more than actually writing a book. It’ll mean taking care of - or paying attention to - lots of other details, marketing included.


Tell us about your book/books:

I write contemporary romance that is on the sweet side, often with multicultural couples and/or international settings. I’ve also written some paranormal romance novels and co-written a romantic suspense series. Lots of my books are part of a series but can be read as a stand-alone with a happy ending. Two of those series are Inn Love, and Romancing the Royals. I’m currently writing Book 2 of the Misty Springs series of small-town romances. Book 1, Seeking Love, is available on Amazon and free to read with KindleUnlimited.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

In general, we’re a very supportive bunch and we often think along the same lines. It’s huge fun to fangirl over books and book boyfriends and tropes, to share writing advice or inspire each other and lift each other up.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thanks so much for giving me and my novels a chance. I hope you enjoyed the journey my characters undertook to reach their HEA. Feel free to find me on social media if you want to talk books!


Where can people connect with you?

I’m very active on Twitter but also use other social media. Here are some links:

http://www.devikafernando.com

https://twitter.com/Author_Devika

https://www.facebook.com/devikafernandoauthor

https://www.instagram.com/fernando_devika


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview