Dennis Cronin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I was born in Birmingham to Irish parents, and spent a career in the public sector before moving to Ireland. I now live in Lincolnshire with my 2 dogs.


When did your love of books begin?

I can't remember a time when I wasn't reading. Since my early childhood I've taken huge pleasure from reading. I'll read almost anything, but I do enjoy a good meandering tale that takes you to places and shows you things that you wouldn't usually experience. I read historical fiction, crime, thrillers, sagas, all sorts and everything.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Writing the book was the easy part! Completing the book is not the finish line, it's just the start. I had never realised that the market is so saturated with established writers and ‘celebrities’, and that getting a literary agent to notice you is harder than finding the Golden Fleece. That sounds peevish, but it is incredibly hard for indie writers to get anywhere, and then once you have gone down the self-publish route it’s an even harder slog to get yourself noticed. However, having said all that, I feel a tremendous sense of satisfaction that the story is out there. Now all I need to do is get people to read it!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just go for it! Although my working life has been rooted in factual writing, I never held any desire to produce a novel. It was only when I began to research my family history and discovered events that even to this day some people are reluctant to speak of that I was moved to write this book. I felt it was a tale that needed to be told, and once I put pen to paper, I developed quite a taste for it, and although there were frustrating times when inspiration eluded me, I found the journey enjoyable and rewarding.


Tell us about your book/books:

The book is in the genre of historical fiction and is based on the life of my great-grandfather, Michael Sweeney, who was born in the 1800s on a small hill farm in the west of Ireland and spans some 70 years or so. The central theme is of an ordinary life shaped by a series of extraordinary circumstances, how one man’s destiny is defined by the ambition of others. It explores the universal evils of bigotry and injustice from the personal perspective of the victim and portrays the life of a simple man that is impacted by an angry and snarling world, not just once, but repeatedly. It confronts elements of social and political history from an unconventional standpoint and challenges some established stereotypes. The narrative is at times harrowing and there is a pervading sense of loss but there is also an underlying warmth, the suffering is tempered by humour and there is love and joy amidst the hatred and pain. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I've found them tremendously supportive and any connection has always been a positive one.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If you haven't already done so, research your family history, you never know what stories you'll uncover.


Where can people connect with you?

Probably the best way is through Twitter @DennisC_author or via Goodreads. I'm afraid I don't use any other social media.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview