Denis McCarthy interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I always read from a very young age. I started with comics and then went on to detective books like the Hardy Boys mysteries. We had a mobile library which would come to our area every fortnight and we could borrow books. When I completed my Master's Degree in History my reading was primarily around that, however I soon went back on true crime and crime fiction. So all my life I've been reading in some fashion.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I wrote short essays when I was in school and college, but my real wish came in 2009 when I finished my degree.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I think the auditor process is very individual. For some it's the process of continuous writing, for others it's hard to retain ideas and get them down. My process is to write in blocks. I thought the process of continuous writing does not work for me. I have a general plan of my story and make overview notes. Then I write until I stop. I then leave it for a few hours or days. There's no set time. I think it can be sometimes be demotivating if you are sitting waiting for ideas. Much better for me to go to a movie, a gig or a few beers and let them come to me. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

First, I would say go for it.  If you want to write just one book or a hundred go for it.  Only you can tell the story you want to tell.  

Don't be disheartened by any negative reviews. Your book is not for everyone and so don't be worried if some people are critical. 
Other auditors can be so supportive. They can empathise with you so talk and listen. 
Most of all enjoy it. You're telling a story to someone who has not heard it before. Feel the excitement they are going to feel.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have a book I have not yet published called Last of the Fruit Kings, which is based around the Easter Rising in Ireland. Being Irish this has a particular attachment for me. 

I have just published my first book in a trilogy, Lyngate Woods. The trilogy deals with the morals of serial killer who takes his vengeance out on young women. Unemotional and graphic, his ritualistic killing shames the people who made him kill. There are twists and turns throughout with a surprising ending that prepares you for the second book.  


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The support of the community is vital as it does inspire you and picks you up on down days. There are some great ideas from people which encourage me futher.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Read my book with an open mind and that it's just part of the story. It is graphic in places, but this shows the cold approach by the killer. This is a journey of morals, ethics and betrayal.  Also whatever you read submerse yourself in the story. Become the person you are reading about and this will draw you in. We all have an imagination so don't compress yours. 


Where can people connect with you?

I'm on twitter as authorDMcCarthy. My email is macca1914@hotmail.com.  Anyone is free to contact me anytime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview