D.B. Mcivor interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Dustin or D.B. Mcivor, whichever you prefer. I am 35 years old and live in Calgary, Alberta with my partner and I am in the first semester of my English degree.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books started early, my mother and sister both were avid readers and that was a big influence. But I remember picking up my sister's copy of Hamlet when I was nine when she was studying it in school. Obviously it was a copy that had the "layman's" translations alongside of the original text, but it pulled me right into the whole literary world.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I started to want to become an author when I was a teenager. I read The Hobbit when I was ten and then The Lord of the Rings right afterward, it was my first exposure to fantasy and I was immediately hooked. I was excited to read more fantasy but did not realise until i looked for more books that most authors were using either Tolkien's or earth's mythology for the different species and creatures. Of course, series that were more unique that way did exist but this was before the internet and the books that I happened to find were not that way. Of course there is nothing particularly wrong with that and I still enjoyed the fantasy I read but I was disappointed in what seemed like a lack of fresh and unique species of fantasy characters. So, when I was fourteen I started to build the fantasy universe that I write about that is fundamentally one of a kind.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I have found that it is a process that for me is best if focused on the love of doing it. I took a little too much time building the universe before starting the first draft of the first book and wish I had realised earlier how much more I love writing as opposed to building. It has been a labour of love since but I have also realised that when it comes to marketing I am very much out of my element. So keeping the focus on just putting the story into words so that at least the possibility of it being shared with people is there, keeps it a labour of love for me.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

To anyone trying to become an author I would say that there is no wrong way to write. There are a lot of tips out there and many people who would suggest that some of those tips are laws of writing. The reality is, writing is not a democracy, stay true to your vision. Also while editing, read it out loud, it really makes the little mistakes obvious to you.


Tell us about your book/books:

I am writing a series called Bahlion's Freedom that is set in the universe I created. The first book is the only one out so far and it is titled Veytia, which is the setting at the beginning of the story. It centres around two species; the Brotnim and Arzyen, that have been at war over dominion of Veytia since anyone alive can remember. Haust, a Brotnim and Tyghan, an Arzyen are ripped from their world and dropped into a foreign land moments after a giant breaks into their land. Before anyone can process the shock of both the giant and the realisation that anything exists outside of Veytia, the beast starts to eat everyone and everything in its path. They are all forced to consider working together to fight the giant before it consumes everything they have ever known.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

My favourite thing about the writers and readers in the community is the small amount of gate-keeping that exists within it. Most people are so excited to share their thoughts and feelings about different stories and support each other's love of whatever genre someone is into. There is such a wealth of stories today and it is not hard to get great recommendations from fellow readers who share your taste when it comes to stories.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would want to say two things to my readers. First, to the potential readers of my series, the only trigger warnings you would need are the excessive violence, but not gore. Secondly, I am so grateful and excited for the opportunity to bring you along on a journey through a wondrous universe that is nothing like our own, I hope you enjoy the escape from reality.


Where can people connect with you?

All of my links can be found through my website; www.dbmcivor.com and please feel free to reach out to me on any of the socials, I would absolutely love to hear anything from anybody, good or bad!
Twitter @db_mcivor
Instagram @d.b.mcivor
Or please feel free to email me about anything - mcivordb@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview