Darian Kiener interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello, I am Darian Kiener, the Author of the novella "The Chosen Few and The Cattle" which is available on Amazon, and the short story "The Forest" which has been accepted by the literary journal "The Corradi" and will be published in early January of 2022. I am an English major with a double-minor in Creative Writing and Philosophy at UNC Greensboro and a cook in my spare time. I want to thank you for this interview opportunity @feedmyreads in advance, it was too kind of you to reach out to me.


When did your love of books begin?

I found a love for reading when I was in the fourth grade, and it started with the Harry Potter series. though I always loved stories and their ability to transport you away from wherever your head is currently at. I love movies, plays, and videogames, and really anything that uses words as its main medium of expression.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It must have been two years ago when I was a senior in high school and I took a creative writing class. My teacher cultivated a love for literature and expression though creative writing in that class and mostly within me and since then, I have been an avid writer with a love for that form of expression.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I have found it difficult. There's a lot of long hours and a lot of research that goes into this job, that wouldn't be possible to anyone that didn't love the craft, but that's a common thing in every form of expression. I have found researching all of the key elements of becoming an independent author difficult, you make decisions early on that you later come to realize doing it a different way would have been better in the long term, but like any other business, you learn as you go and you find love in the process.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Surround yourself with hard working people, Its hard to stay focused on a gargantuan task like writing a book if you are surrounded by people who's don't understand what all this work is for, it's not for money, or notoriety, or an ego boost, its simply a need to create; for whatever reason, a world, different from our own. Own that and don't let anyone stop you from making something amazing simply because they can't see the why of it all.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first book "The Chosen Few and the Cattle," is a Sci-Fi dystopian novella that was written and edited within about two months. It was a violent interpretation of a future society that was my main means of expressing my outrage at the current world we live in. The rage that was poured into it stemmed from the recent loss of my mother and my wavering religious beliefs in said aftermath. Here is a link to it if you are interested:
The novel I am currently working on "Of Arsonist's and Immortals," Is a novel that explores what it means to be a god with human ambition. It is an analysis on humanity and the effects mortality or the lack there of, play on our ability to act objectively moral, and whether such a thing exists in a perfect world or one that seemingly doesn't have an expiration date.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing and reading community on twitter and at my university has been outrageously positive. I have found a group of people on twitter known as "The Writers Circle" that welcome's new people with open arms and is the perfect place to share work. I have met countless writers, authors, narrators, screen-writers, and journalists within this community and have even sold a few books to these gracious people that seem to have an unwavering level of support for their fellow artist. In short I have found a lot of support and love in the writing and reading community.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you, for reading my work. Every time I see a new review; good, bad, or in between I get excited, because it means someone else has taken their time to just look at what I have put out there, and I couldn't be more grateful for the time and interest that my readers have given me.
Where can people connect with you?


Where can people connect with you?

People can connect with me on twitter @DarianKiener_ and on instagram @darian_kiener, I will be happy to respond to both!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview