Cindy Sabulis interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m a writer, a business owner, an amateur photographer, a nature and wildlife appreciator, and a perpetual volunteer of jobs that don't pay.


When did your love of books begin?

Like many writers, I was a bookworm as a kid, so the love of books was there early on. I grew up in a large family in a house with tons of books to read. My mother had a love of reading and she wanted to pass that love onto her kids. We had a large bookcase in the hallway outside our bedrooms that was loaded with all the different series of children’s books; The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, The Happy Hollisters, the Boxcar Children, Pippi Longstocking, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle --just tons of now-classic books. I remember as a kid standing in the hallway in front of those book shelves trying to decide what my next read would be. At school when the Scholastic Books order forms came out, I’d go through the catalog and check off all the books I wanted to buy and my mother would usually let me get them all—or at least a good amount of the ones I wanted. Many kids in my class went home with only one or two books each time the book orders came in, but I always went home with a large pile. It was very easy being a book worm when your mom was one too.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I was maybe in my early 20s when I decided to be a writer. I started as a freelance writer before I started writing books. My first published book was a doll reference guide about a fashion doll from the 1960s called Tammy. As a doll collector, I was frustrated with not having a good reference guide for the whole Tammy line, as were many other collectors at the time. Other collectors kept telling me I should write a reference guide about Tammy since I was actively writing for doll magazines and knew a lot about the Tammy line, but it took a couple of years before I felt confident enough to take on the task. The first publisher I contacted and submitted a proposal to accepted the idea, and within a few weeks I had a contract in hand to write the book. That first doll book led to three other doll reference guides.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Hard. Very hard, with plenty of rejections along the way, but enough acceptances that made me think I wasn’t completely horrible at it.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Danger! Turn back now!


Tell us about your book/books:

My most recent book is a contemporary, middle grade novel called Living at Langster Motel. It is a story about friendship and the importance of community. Thirteen-year-old Cali Jarvis is embarrassed about where she lives—which happens to be in a motel. As she works towards becoming one of the popular kids at her new school, Cali is determined to keep her home life a secret because everyone knows living in a motel and being popular just don’t mix.   

Living at Langster Motel is my sixth published book, but my first novel. My other published books were all non-fiction. Another book of mine is “The Garage Sale How-To Guide,” which offers tips and advice to help run a successful and profitable garage or yard sale. In addition, I wrote four doll collecting reference guides for collectors and dealers about dolls from the 1960s-1970s era.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how the writing community is so supportive of one another.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I’d say thank you. Thank you for choosing my books over so many others. With millions of reading choices out there, it’s a privilege when someone picks my book to buy, read, share, review, or talk about.


Where can people connect with you?

My Writing Website: www.cindysabulis.com

My Blog:  https://blog.cindysabulis.com/

On Twitter: https://twitter.com/cindysabulis

On Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/240391.Cindy_Sabulis

On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/LivingatLangsterMotel

Living at Langster Motel book trailer on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNY8Fzdh1DY


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview