Chuck Murphree interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My mother is from Alabama and I used to fall asleep to verbal and written stories of relatives from the south, learning about family heritage, a sometimes rough bunch of characters, which also led to her reading me history books. However, throughout my school years I was not a very good student and was not engaged at all, quite rebellious at times, and did not read a lot. My love for books started when I left high school and I wanted to learn and take in everything, so I started reading non-stop. I read everything from poetry and fiction, to history and philosophy. I haven’t stopped since. I guess I felt like I had some making up to do.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I took my first creative writing class in college at the age of twenty-five, just out of the military. That is the first time I thought of becoming an author. I never stopped having the desire to be an author. There were a few events and past traumas along the way that held me up I believe. My first published novel is based off of personal experiences about my own traumas and my best friend killing himself. I realized as a writer, I needed to use my experiences and everything I felt, and then put the emotion on the page. It was an enlightening and exhausting experience.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It took me a while to build confidence as a writer. I believe this came from my lack of self-efficacy as a student. I once had a school counselor that told me I would not amount to much. I often thought my lack of good grades and fitting the mold by going to college right away, meant that I was not very intelligent. This affected my confidence when I started to send out my writing and receive rejections. However, as I continued, I realized that I have a voice, something to offer, and being rejected is a part of trying to get published. My second Young Adult novel will be released in April, and I hope this is just the start.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I believe it was Anne Lamott that wrote about “Shitty first drafts.” I keep that in mind as I write. When I first start writing, I just get it down, all of my thoughts and feelings, and realize the rewriting process is when I can make the writing better. I see many authors focusing on getting the perfect sentence down in their first draft, and it often halts their writing. Then, they never complete their work, giving up. Keep going, and get down that shitty first draft. Write what you know.


Tell us about your book/books:

This is the summary to my first book: Fifteen-year-old Neil lost his brother to suicide one year ago, and in the process, he lost his voice. Now, with his parents drifting apart and another first day at a new school, his life feels like it’s spiraling out of control. That is, until Neil meets a high school counselor who gets him involved in the Polar Bear Club, where he connects with a group of classmates he can finally relate to. As their friendship grows, so do their adventures. Life throws out many challenges, and death forces us to ask “why” far too many times. In Everything That Makes Us Feel, Neil tries to navigate a world in search of the answers to those questions.
This is the summary from my second YA novel, Somewhere Between The Trees And Clouds, to be released in April. “Damaged.” That’s how teenage boys feel when they are sexually assaulted. Yes, it happens to boys too. It isn’t until Dylan meets Audrey that he feels something other than being torn and damaged. She too has her darkness, as her assault is recent, from a party where she was taken advantage of, and forced to move schools only to face rumors and being made to feel that she did something wrong. Together, they help one another navigate their pain and possibly find some healing and grace. "Somewhere Between the Trees and Clouds is a story about loss, internal wounds, healing, love, and hope."


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I am on Twitter and Instagram with the writing community and they are amazing. What I find is that we are all supportive of one another and encouraging. We know the blood that we sweat into our keyboards, and how difficult it is to not only find the words to create but to be vulnerable and share our thoughts with the world.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I want them to know that I share myself with them, writing about many tough subjects, because I want to bring awareness. I care about my readers and have compassion and empathy for them, whether I know them or not. That’s what we need more of in the world. Along the way, I hope they find my stories interesting and helpful.


Where can people connect with you?

I am on Twitter: @ChuckMurphree, Instagram: chuckmurphreeauthor, Facebook: Chuck Murphree Writer. I will soon have a website available. That is in the works.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview