Cheryl Burman interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Australian by birth, I moved to the Forest of Dean in the UK in 2008, via Switzerland and Surrey. Love it here, a great community and I'm involved in various projects to do with writing and history - an excellent combination.


When did your love of books begin?

I can't remember not loving books. My parents read to me from an early age and I was the kid who spent weekends lying on my bed reading Little Women or Jo's Riding School while my mother pointed out how lovely the weather was. Always have at least one book on the go.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

The wish to be an author came to me very young. I remember starting to write a book when I was about ten, which definitely involved a wardrobe and a magic land! But mine was set in Australia, at the beach, so no one would notice the similarities of course.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It wasn't until my corporate career and kids were off my hands that I finally turned to writing - possibly inspired by this same Forest which inspired Tolkien and Rowling. It's been a steep learning curve, especially being self-published, and the learning never stops. Worst paid but most loved job to date!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write, get feedback, listen to what makes sense, learn the craft - writing is a combination of creativity and craft just as painting or sculpture or music is - and persevere.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first books are an MG fantasy trilogy, Guardians of the Forest, which kids aged 9-90 love. More recently I've published a women's historical fiction novel, Keepers, set in Australia in ca 1950. It has a strong following, including among readers who say 'not my normal genre'. Love that! I also have a slim collection out (readers can have the ebook for free as a thank you for signing up to my newsletter). Currently working on a prequel to the trilogy and a magical realism novel set here in the Forest.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Everything! The writing community especially has taught me so much and made me many wonderful lifelong friends. I really would not be where I am with my books today if not for their support.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading! And also, give a variety of books a go - you never know where you will find your next treasured read.


Where can people connect with you?

Everything is on my website https://cherylburman.com including sign up to my monthly newsletter which keeps me in touch with readers and fellow writers.

Many thanks for this opportunity and hello to new writer and reader friends.


Comments

  1. Thank you for this, and great to be part of a new writing and reading family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate you being part of what we do and for taking part in the post too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview