Bláithín O’Reilly Murphy interviews Caroline Rebisz

Author Interview between Bláithín O’Reilly Murphy [@whatbladidnext] and Caroline Rebisz [@carolinerebisz]

 

  1. We’re meeting for this chat in your favourite cafe/ bar/ pub/ restaurant/ hotel lobby. Where are we and why is this your favourite? And what have you ordered for us?

We are meeting at my favorite pub The Horseshoe Inn at Ebbesbourne Wake. A lovely family-run pub that does the most amazing ribeye steak dinner. Let's have that with a large glass of Merlot, my favourite tipple.

  1. What name[s] do you write under?

I write under my actual name Caroline Rebisz. Having an unusual surname helps. My father-in-law was Polish so I have spent my entire marriage answering to many different pronunciations of my name.

  1. When was the last time you wrote?

Yesterday. I try to write at least 3 days a week for an afternoon. Sometimes I do more and sometimes less. We moved 3 months ago so I am trying to balance writing with settling into the new area. I’m also volunteering at the moment at a vaccine centre so that’s adding a challenge to “me-time”/ writing time.

  1. What is your most recently published book or current work in progress? Who is most likely to read it?

My most recent published book is A Costly Affair. It’s a psychological drama, based around a story of an affair that goes horribly wrong. Most of my readers are women who like a good story with strong female characters. Although my husband has actually read one of my books so I wouldn’t rule out the men! It seriously was the first book I have seen him read in over 30 years of marriage. His assessment – “it’s not bad!”

  1. What is your writing Kryptonite?

Procrastination – social media is terrible for fuelling this one! Just a quick look and then you are off down a rabbit hole.

  1. What was the best money you ever spent as a writer?

My laptop. I started my writing career on an old slow laptop which was so frustrating. After the first lockdown, I decide to buy a new one and haven’t looked back.

  1. As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal and why?

It would be something cat related. Maybe my poor little Freddie as a spirit cat. We lost him last year when he was hit by a car.

  1. What did you [or would you do] with your first advance or payout from your first book?

Spend it on my girls. I have two wonderful daughters who have grown up into amazing women. I love treating them more than I like spending on me. If there was enough then I would buy my husband a Jag, as a thank you for putting up with my writing days, when he doesn’t get a look in.

  1. How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have? Care to share the [working] titles with us?

My third book which is a prequel to my first, A Mother’s Loss (working title is A Mother’s Deceit) is currently with my Beta Reader. I am about 20k words into my fourth novel which is going to be the first of a series. I am really loving the story and seriously can’t wait to finish it.

  1. Describe your perfect writing location/set-up?

A room with a view –procrastination popping up again. Somewhere hot, maybe the South of France or Italy. I would love to own a second home where I could escape to and write all day long. Well, I can dream! 

  1. What is your actual writing location/set-up like?

I have a study which looks out over my back garden. (pic attached) We have two desks in the study so one is just for writing. It’s so lovely to be able to keep all my writing tools spread out around me. A space that no one else is allowed to use.


  1. How long, on average, does it take you to write a book?

On average I would say 6 to 9 months. The first lockdown really blew my schedule as I just couldn’t write but think I have become much more chilled now.

  1. How do you select the names of your characters? Would you ever let someone else, say a reader name one?

I do find selecting names one of the most exciting things about planning a book. My latest has had names thought up by my family – brainstorming over WhatsApp! What started out as a bit of fun actually morphed into some really good names. 

  1. What’s your favourite underappreciated book?

Difficult question. No book is ever underappreciated, just not been read yet.

  1. Do you ever Google yourself or your books? If so, what's the most surprising thing you’ve found?

Just found my book on sale on a German website for much more than its sold on Amazon! Is that allowed?

  1. What or who are you currently reading yourself?

I’m currently reading an indie author who I picked up from a writers lift on Twitter. Scars That Burn by Jennifer Wallace. Not my normal read but I find it’s good to try something different every now and again. She’s an American writer so it is also interesting to explore another marketplace.

  1. What other books are in your ‘to be read’ pile?

I have 4 more books on my kindle to read. The Wild One by Danielle Harmon, The Christmas Kiss by Nicola Lowe, First Night Carol Sabik-Jaffe and The Elizabeth Tudor Conspiracy by Alexandra Walsh

  1. Where and how can we all stalk you and your great work from now on? Leave us all the links below!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caroline-Rebisz/e/B08LHF2V1J

@carolinerebisz - Twitter

@crebisz – Facebook Author page




Please do follow both Bláithín O’Reilly Murphy [@whatbladidnext] and Caroline Rebiz [@carolinerebisz]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview