Barry Ryerson interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Born and bred in the Midlands, UK, with 4 other siblings. Was the only one to go to university where I studied music, though it was a tough choice between that and physics. Eventually melded the two and became a lecturer in Music Technology, teaching students from Level 2 to Level 5 (pre-GCSE to 2nd year degree level) as well as a freelance audio post engineer (making, editing, and mixing sound for films).

Other random achievements include: 2nd degree black belt in ninjutsu; Private Pilot’s Licence; performed Wadaiko (Japanese drumming) in a group to 1,500 people at Disneyland, Paris.

In early 2018 became disabled with ME and had to stop working.


When did your love of books begin?

I enjoyed books as a teenager, but the biggest change to my life with books happened when I was around 17. I had become suicidally depressed, and randomly found a book about hypnotism, neuro linguistic programming, and a bunch of other interesting things about psychology. It made me eager to learn more which, in turn, made me want to stay alive to do that learning. I feel that, without books, I literally wouldn’t be here today.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’d dabbled on and off with writing, but never took it seriously. When I became disabled, I took up writing as a way to do something positive, as most of what I could do before was now impossible. So, I wrote a story for my then 8-year-old son.

He loved it and kept wanting to know what happened next. That, in turn, spurred me on to complete the story, something I’d never done before. It was only then that I thought to myself, “I could make this into a real book.”


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Tough! I sometimes feel like a blind person trying to teach themselves how to play pinball. There are so many new things to learn, whether it’s about grammar, formatting, plot, story arcs, promotion, the list is endless.

That said, I also feel like I’m making headway with it. I’ve received some amazing reviews for my debut book, and have a ton more books stored in rough in my head. The process of getting it onto paper is slower than I’d like, but it’s a marathon, not a sprint, so I’ll get there eventually. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do it! At the very least, you’ll enjoy the creativity of making something unique. I promise you, no one else in the world can make a book the same as you can.


Tell us about your book/books:

The Child of Fire and Earth is a fun fantasy adventure, aimed at 8-12 year-olds but just as much fun for grown-ups, too. Hew had always dreamed of becoming a knight, but a chance encounter with a dragon changes everything. As he meets new friends and accidentally becomes a magician, he embarks on a quest to stop magic disappearing before the world freezes over.

Whilst I love fantasy, I also enjoy realism, which is why this book uses real 15th century clothing, places, food, and folklore.

I’m also currently editing The Magic Circle, an adult science fiction fantasy. Decades after a nuclear war, magic returns to Earth. Three strangers have their lives intertwine as unknown forces guide them to either save or destroy everything.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

They are so lovely! I’ve met some amazing writers on Twitter who are inspiring, full of useful knowledge that they’re willing to share, and so supportive of each other. As I slowly progress, I’m trying to do my bit to help pay back the help I’ve had.

I’m also in awe with some of the comments and reviews I’ve had about my book so far. It helps so much to make me realise I’m doing something positive.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I hope you enjoy my books at least half as much as I’ve enjoyed writing them. And please, whether it’s good or bad, whether it’s my book or someone else’s, please leave a review! They mean so much to us authors.


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter  @barryryerson

Website www.barryryerson.com

Instagram  @ryersonbarry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview