Susan Hughes interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi! I’m Susan Hughes and I live in Derbyshire with my family and two rescue cats working as a cover teacher by day and plotting what mischief and mayhem my book character Sprout can get up to by night. My teaching background is in primary and early years education and I love that light bulb moment when young children pick up a book to ‘read’ for the first time, even if it is upside down!  When young children learn without feeling they have been taught is when I feel I have done my job right and this lies at the heart of my writing.


When did your love of books begin?

My earliest memory of a book is school photograph day when I was 5.  I was asked to sit down at a table with an open book in front of me and thought my teacher wanted me to read it! I remember looking at the page and thinking “there are too many words!” Fortunately the experience didn’t put me off reading though I still have a lifelong phobia of having my photograph taken!  In junior school, my teacher read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe to the class at the end of each day and I remember the magical experience of being transported into another world.  It remains my favourite book to this day and it still carries me back to Narnia as an adult.



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

About 5 years ago I started writing some stories during a break from teaching. As an early years teacher I was always on the look out for ‘books with a hook’ to introduce a new topic in a fun and engaging way but which also left room for children to discover more. Sometimes I couldn’t find just what I was looking for, so that started me off on my writing journey.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

In a short space of time, I’ve learned so much as an Indie Author but there’s still so much more to learn which is exciting. I’ve especially enjoyed working with my illustrator and the thrill of seeing my story come to life week by week.  As an Indie Author I manage most tasks myself which can be overwhelming, daunting and frustrating at times but I have control over my work and can set my own deadlines and timescales... *note to self* finish website!  Receiving lovely reviews from my readers and seeing children’s responses to the story when I read it to them, for me, is the greatest reward as an author.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do it! If you are going down the self-publishing route you may begin to feel that writing is the easy part! Not that self-publishing is hard, but as an Indie Author you have many plates to spin from pre-publishing to marketing.  I went on a self-publishing course which provided excellent advice and there are some super books on the subject too.  There are also lots of helpful tutorials and supportive writing groups online as well but don’t compromise on using professionals such as an editor, illustrator, proof-reader to make your book the best it can be. Good luck!


Tell us about your book/books:

Sprout’s Surprise is a fun rhyming story with a gentle eco-friendly message about a little Sprout whose tummy keeps turning greener and greener but he doesn’t know why! But that’s not his only surprise, as he soon makes a much bigger discovery! The ethos behind the book is that just like Sprout who is small, little children can learn about big issues too. It includes Sprout’s Tips – story questions and book themed activity ideas for children and grown ups to do together at home or in the classroom. He may be small in size but he’s big in surprise! It is available on Amazon and can be ordered from book shops.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

It is an incredibly supportive and generous community with lots of invaluable advice and tips. No question is too silly or too small to ask and I’d like to say thank you to all those who have helped me with my debut book and everyone who has liked, retweeted and shared posts about my book. It really is appreciated.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you so much for buying my book and for taking the time to leave a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads.  It’s lovely to read that grown-ups and children love little Sprout and his first adventure as much as I do. Your reviews and ratings are really important to me and help others to discover the book.  If you have also enjoyed doing the activities in Sprout’s Tips, do post photos of them on social media and tag me in.  I’d love to see them.


Where can people connect with you?

You can find me (and Sprout) on Twitter and Instagram @SproutsSurprise and on Goodreads.  My website, sproutssurprisebooks.com is coming soon! Honest!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview