Susan Buchanan interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m Susan Buchanan, author of contemporary romance and romantic comedies. I live near Glasgow and have been publishing books for 9 years. I literally have books for breakfast, lunch and dinner as I am also a freelance book editor.


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve always loved books. Back in the Dark Ages when I was born, books at home were few and far between, so I had to rely on library books. I started reading at four, before I started school, and I used to queue up outside the library most nights to get more books. I would actually cry over the weekend as the library closed at 1 p.m. on a Saturday and I couldn’t go again until Monday after school! 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Well, I think when I was about 7, I wrote a story about a smuggler, but in high school I wrote my first chapter book, unfinished, naturally. I must have it somewhere. For years I worked in International Sales and with my hectic schedule, I wrote only when I went on holiday, so it took me years to finish my first book, which I published in 2012.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Hard work! In 2011 I think I sent my manuscript off for Sign of the Times to five or six agents and publishers. And I thought that was a lot, especially as you had to post them back then! They were heavy! I received a few rejections and then I just put it away. On being made redundant, my husband suggested I try putting my book on Amazon, and I did what every newbie back then did: I uploaded it and thought the great Zon would miraculously conjure readers out of the ether for me. I had no idea about social media, platforms, or any of that stuff, but I learned quickly. My first book was #1 in the Kindle free chart, and that was sheerly through hard work and perseverance with regards to promoting myself and other authors mainly on Twitter. I had a reasonable level of success with my next three books, with The Christmas Spirit being the one that really took off.

However, then I had children and my priorities changed for a bit. Last year I made the decision to start taking my writing seriously again. I have invested a lot of time and money in both the writing and the marketing aspects this time around. There is so much more to it than people think. I’ve been rebranding all my book covers and I am about to launch Just One Day. But in addition to working on my indie author portfolio, I still have one or two books which are out with agents and publishers. This is make it happen year!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do it. I’d love to say, write every day, which is what many do say, but as a mum of two young kids with my own editing business, it wasn’t possible for me, and I’m sure it’s not possible for everyone. Enjoy it. Don’t let it become a chore. Do try to carve out those little bits of time for yourself. It’s hard – believe me, I know! I’ve written in hospital waiting rooms, dental surgeries, train journeys, in the park, most places. If it’s possible, go and write in a café or somewhere you won’t be distracted. You’ll be amazed how much more productive you’ll be and how much the words will flow. I’m actually going on my first writing retreat this weekend and booked the train at the last minute so I can write en route. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I’ve written six books, of which five are available to buy. Sign of the Times, The Dating Game, The Christmas Spirit, Return of the Christmas Spirit and Just One Day – Winter.

My books are stories of families, relationships, be it familial, friendships or platonic. I have travelled a lot so I do like to include different locations in my books, and there is definitely a lot more of that to come. I also tend to feature Scotland in them, not always, but mostly, since that’s where I’m from and I think we have some of the best scenery in the world, just not the weather!

My hope is to bring alive to the reader the places that have meant so much to me. There’s also usually a lot of food. People tell me they get hungry when they read my books!

Mishaps, disasters and humour feature heavily in the books, and I have two whole books dedicated to Christmas – those also have a little magical element to them. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I’ve always been part of a reading community and social media has made that so much easier. I am a member of quite a few groups, but there is one in particular, they know who they are, who are absolutely wonderful and welcoming to authors and readers alike. Many of us are like best buddies and have been chatting away for years to each other. I love the sense of camaraderie.

The writing community, honestly? I realised just how much I’d missed being an integral part of it the past few years when time didn’t allow me to focus on that area of my life. Preparing for the launch and the rebranding has put me in touch with my people again, my tribe. I’m also part of a small group of authors and we keep each other going, both from a word count perspective and a therapist one. Writers are so willing to help other writers, because they’ve been where you are, and it’s a lovely feeling to be part of that.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Enjoy what you read! Try to immerse yourself fully in the story. Leave the washing-up, the laundry, the vacuuming, grab yourself a cuppa and have a rest. Even if it’s just a chapter. I find this really hard sometimes as I am constantly being interrupted, but I recently created a reading nook in my garden and it’s like a haven for me. Happy reading! 


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter – susan_buchanan

Instagram – AuthorSusanBuchanan

Or on my website www.susanbuchananauthor.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview