Steve Frogley interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Steve Frogley, author of The Path of Good Response. I currently work for a homeless charity during the day. Writing has been my hobby for many years, and I feel drawn to my laptop whenever I have free time. I’ve lived most of my life in England, though I spent a great couple of years in New Zealand with my family.


When did your love of books begin?

I read James Herbert horror novels, like The Rats and The Fog, far too young. Interesting that even now, there are no certification controls around books. Perhaps I shouldn’t have been able to do it!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Even in junior school, I spent far too long writing stories. I had a very supportive teacher at this age, who tried to arrange a scholarship for me in Scotland. Sadly, at eleven, I was too emotionally immature to take up the generous opportunity, and wanted to stay with my parents.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Writing is difficult. For me, the process takes a very long time (The Path of Good Response was written over several years.) I’m very envious of the many authors who can produce quality writing at speed. Writing around a job is tough when you have a family.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write because you love it. Writing is not a get rich quick scheme. The industry has changed, creating more opportunity to publish, but on the flip side, it is absolutely flooded with new authors and novels. If you love the process, then writing is never time wasted, but don’t expect instant results – or perhaps ever.


Tell us about your book/books:

The Path of Good Response follows the story of Joseph Massey, who is offered a graduate job with a company called Schelldhardt, after an unusual interview process. The role requires him to be isolated from family and friends, aboard the company’s luxury headquarters at sea for a year. The lifestyle is amazing, and the opportunities are great, but even from the outset he is suspicious. Strange dreams disturb his sleep, and it soon becomes clear that nothing is quite as it seems.
Is he really the right man for the job? And if not, then why is he there at all?

The book is intentionally written so the reader share’s Joe’s confusion with his situation. By the climax, everything fits together. A few of the twists can be anticipated, but I would be impressed if anybody could piece the whole story together before the end.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

There so many incredibly supportive people. When I released my novel, I had less than ten followers on Twitter, and so many people helped me. I often see writer’s complaining that they can’t get reviews for their books. I think that is a shock that every new indie author will experience – that they literally cannot give their book away at the outset. I would encourage them to see it from the other side though – there are so many new books being released, let alone the many fantastic books already in print. As a new indie author, your book is a big risk to a reader – even free, there a time commitment, and most reviewers are snowed under by their TBR piles.
But you may be lucky and find people to read it like I did. I’m so grateful to each and every one of them.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading, and I really hope that you enjoy the book. See how many of the four twists/plot connections you can guess before the end!


Where can people connect with you?

I’m most active on Twitter - @SteveFrogley
Instagram - stevefrogleyauthor
Facebook - @SteveFrogleyAuthor
Website – https://t.co/G1EgRcU0mz


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview