Scarlet Lee Winters interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m Scarlet Lee Winters. I am an author of erotica that oftentimes is erotica with fantasy elements and creatures at the forefront. I only recently took the plunge into publishing erotica as I had been writing and publishing safe for work fantasy stories. Like many writers I am also an avid reader of fiction and a lover of storytelling in all mediums. I can be a prolific writer with random bursts of inspiration and drive.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books started young when I was about two years old. I loved being read to and hearing the usual children stories like The Cat in the Hat and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I wanted to become an author from a very young age--as far back as I can remember. I probably solidified the idea when I was about three or four years old.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The long process: I pitched to the slush piles for years and got a variety of responses, most of which were the desire for authors to have a creative writing or similar degree. I initially went to school with the intention of getting a creative writing degree. Circumstances changed and I ended up taking a few classes toward that degree, but switching majors. During college I continued to write leisurely while being encouraged by several of the English department professors. After getting discouraging responses from agents about fantasy not being what people want to read or that series works are never going to do well, I then started self-publishing my works. I had my friends as proofreaders and readers to give feedback for each of the various stories. A few years after that I began delving in audio fiction and writing those sorts of scripts.

But after the long process it boils down to get an idea, pre-write how it could go or how I want to differ the story idea, characterization or whatever my starting point was, then add to it until it feels finished. Get feedback, proofread, then publish.

The short process: Explaining inspiration is difficult. Taking in fiction and thinking of how I would alter pieces of stories, deciding what I did and didn’t like in a telling and why, what would I would do differently, that is all part of my process. One of these ideas comes into my mind then I tweak the idea, add to it and eventually it becomes a story. For example, the erotica short story I authored What Lies in the Dark, came about from the thought of monsters living under the bed--a common childhood nightmare. In the story’s universe monsters do live in the dark places, but with an erotica twist.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

It is fulfilling to know that something that start out in your head is now something others can enjoy. However, the road can prove difficult with finding the time, the motivation, getting feedback and imposter syndrome, but it can absolutely feel worthwhile on the other side, looking back.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have several books and short stories available as ebooks.

Luxurious Indulgences: Refined Tastes is the first book in a series about a woman looking to get over her breakup.

It’s Cold Inside is a Christmas-themed BDSM erotica story.

The Recluse is an erotica short story centered on a lonesome wizard who lives on a different plane of existence so he can perform dangerous magical experiments.

Damsels in Distress is an erotica short story collection that features monster males and human females.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the inclusion and support that I have seen and experienced among content creators. I’ve had a lot of fellow writers follow me and share my works with others and I’m always happy to do the same. It is nice to not be among a “writers are competition” mentality.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

You are appreciated. I create because I enjoy creating so people enjoying my works is just a bonus.


Where can people connect with you?

I publish some free content, previews, and supplemental materials on Medium. I also include audio previews of my stories on Youtube, and release content on Patreon. I make announcements on Twitter and I have my own website.

https://medium.com/m/callback/email?token=909f7725cd4&operation=login&state=medium

https://sordidsoliloquies.wixsite.com/scarletleewinters

https://www.patreon.com/MissScarletErotica

Twitter: @Lux_Indulgences

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4DixmI02NuFL5twS-qO5jg


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview